Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air 11" 2012 does not want to boot-up

My MacBook has been acting up and Finder would always become unresponsive whenever I try to look at my files.

So then I decided to restart it and now it will not want to boot-up, the boot-up would always freeze halfway through the progress bar.

I have tried:

Repair/verify disk + permissions - No issues

Reset NVRAM - Still won't boot

Reset SMC - Still won't boot

Tried single-user - Disk is completely fine

Reinstalling OSX - cannot perform due to "This item is temporarily unavailable"

And lastly, Verbose mode and am skeptical behind the following code/commands:

I080211AWDLPeerManager::configure Dynamic country code not supporting on this device

I080211AWDLPeerManager::getVHtCapabilityIE Unable to get vht capabilities ret 2d

en1: promiscuous mode enable succeeded

en0: BSSID changed to xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

Afree those commands Verbose mode would freeze too.

I tried pretty much everything and I do not want to consider formatting my drive, which may also not let me install OSX for the reason mentioned above. So yeah all of my options are gone. It is pretty frustrating that this arrived out of nowhere and that my options now are extremely thin.

To add my MacBook no longer has warranty and it does not have AppleCare.

I'd appreciate any help, Thanks!

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), 11" 2012

Posted on Jan 20, 2016 7:52 PM

3 replies

Jan 20, 2016 7:57 PM in response to Erizk

Reinstalling OS X Without Erasing the Drive

Boot to the Recovery HD: Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears.

Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions: Upon startup select Disk Utility from the main menu. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions as follows.

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility and press the Continue button. After Disk Utility loads select the indented Macintosh HD entry from the the left side list. Click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If Disk Utility reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit Disk Utility and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible because it is three times faster than wireless and more reliable.

If you don't have success with the above, then try:

Install or Reinstall OS X from Scratch

Be sure you have backed up your files because the following procedure will remove everything from the hard drive.

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears.

Erase the hard drive:

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.

2. After DU loads select your startup volume (usually Macintosh HD) from the

left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window.

3. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Optionally, click on

the Security button and set the Zero Data option to one-pass. Click on

the Erase button and wait until the process has completed.

4. Quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Install button.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible

because it is three times faster than wireless.

This should install the version of OS X that you had installed.

MacBook Air 11" 2012 does not want to boot-up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.