Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No internet after update 2016-001

After recent update (2016-001) for Yosemite 10.10.5 I cannot access certain sites.

I use cable connection to Router (192.168.1.1). It says Not available.

Network diagnose says Internet ok.

I also have Windows in VirtualBox. From there I can access my Router and surf the Internet.

I also have a VPN from where I can reach my router from "outside" and surf.

But never direkt with 192.168.1.1.

Ping is ok < 1 mS

Browser Safari, GC and FF. All the same.

All this happened after update.

Email is ok (Thunderbird)

DNS seems ok since I get ip adresses in Lookup.

I've seen many similar questions in communities and many workarounds but none that really works.

If I'm lucky I can reach certain sites but never my own Router.

How can I get my Macbook Pro back to normal?

Can I disable this last update?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Jan 20, 2016 6:57 PM

18 replies

Jan 20, 2016 7:52 PM in response to CMCSK

I have the very same problem. Since this update has been installed, I can't see news website, bank website, usual website. It look like as soon there is some javascript, the internet freeze... This behavior appeared at the minute I rebooted the computer. Whatever the connection is (wifi or cable ethernet) the browser is really slow. I use Chrome and I did some test on Safari and Firefox. Every time the same problem occur.

What is inside this security update? There is no info and the computer don't browse on internet correctly.

Jan 21, 2016 12:03 AM in response to CMCSK

Thanks CMCSK,

That thread is really long. I've not read all of it but it seems related to WiFi all the way. I don't use WiFi for my Macbook and everything else in Network configuration is off. No bluetooth nor wireless mouse etc.

I managed one thing though, to connect to 192.168.1.1

From Windows I connected to the Router and changed the HTTP port to 81.

Now I can connect from Macbook to 192.168.1.1:81 without problem.

So it looks like it's related to port 80

I can also add that the few sites I can reach are secure (https:) even if they are slow.

Sometimes I can even reach a normal (http:) site but that takes forever.

Does that give you a clue?

From a Windows computer with WiFi everything is fast and normal.

Jan 21, 2016 7:30 AM in response to Heikki Luoma

It appears I have the same problem. Details provided below...

Immediately after installing two updates (i.e., Security Update 2016-001 and iMovie version 10.1.1) on my Macbook Pro (OS X Yosemite, version 10.10.5), many websites (e.g., amazon.com, cnn.com, sephora.com, redbox.com, washingtonpost.com, ...) either failed to resolve at all or--after lengthy (2-5 minute) delays--failed to load all images/content. Oddly, some websites (i.e., yahoo.com and youtube.com) experience no performance issues/delays at all. Issue occurs in both Google Chrome (Version 48.0.2564.82 (64-bit)) and Safari (Version 9.0.3 (10601.4.4)). Internet (Verizon FiOS) is working perfectly for Windows based machines. Macbook is hard wired via thunderbolt.

The issue did not occur when the computer was in Safe Boot.

A review of 2016-001 release notes appears to indicate that the only OS X Yosemite v10.10.5 component was an update to: libxslt. Specifically:

libxslt

Available for: OS X Mavericks v10.9.5, OS X Yosemite v10.10.5, and OS X El Capitan v10.11 to v10.11.2

Impact: Visiting a maliciously crafted website may lead to arbitrary code execution

Description: A type confusion issue existed in libxslt. This issue was addressed through improved memory handling.

After 2+ hours on the phone with Apple Support, they suspect ESET. I do not. The issue continues to occur even when the following ESET settings were disabled: Network Traffic Filtering; Web Access Protection; Email Client Protection; and Anti-Phishing Protection.

Jan 21, 2016 3:49 PM in response to PJ-0000

Update: Issue resolved.

I uninstalled* ESET Cyber Security Pro, restarted, and then re-installed ESET. Now, my browsers (Safari and Chrome) function normally on all websites. Root cause unclear, but I suspect the libxslt modifications in 2016-001 played a non trivial role. {Thanks to Apple Support for the troubleshooting help}

*Via Activity Monitor, stopped the ESET processes (i.e., highlight, View->Quit Process). Via Finder, deleted ESET entries from both the Applications and Downloads folders. Emptied Trash.

Jan 21, 2016 3:01 PM in response to PJ-0000

This is exactly the good answer. I did the same steps and everything got back to normal. Apparently, ESET affects OSX after installing the security update. Many thanks for the procedure. This thread shall help other people I guess.

-> CMCSK:

Your last comment to me was so helpful, thank you for your support. This is not called "help" to tell people they are threadjacking.

Jan 21, 2016 4:13 PM in response to PJ-0000

Thanks PJ-0000

After many hours of debugging, I got your help with the correct answer. Hope it can help others with the same problem. This was a perfect example of how a community should work. Users help each other effectively.

I agree with Megaherzz: about your comment to CMCSK: It is not called "help" to tell people they are threadjacking.

Have a nice day.

Jan 22, 2016 6:30 AM in response to LM-id

Update: ESET uninstall/restart/reinstall is only a temporary fix. To permanently fix, proxy firewall settings need to be adjusted manually by ESET Support, or users need to wait for a to-be-released ESET SW update.

After approximately 5 hours, the website-access issue resurfaced in both browsers. Consequently, I contacted ESET Support. Per ESET Support, Security Update 2016-001 included operating system changes that were *not* publicized to vendors. As a result, the 2016-001 changes are not compatible with legacy proxy firewall settings. ESET developers are working on a software fix (release time/date not provided). In the meantime, the only way to resolve (and keep ESET installed) is via a free ESET support session. During the ~5min session, the ESET agent will request screen-sharing access, change the proxy firewall settings *manually* (and out of view), and then ask the user to restart. At that time, the issue is fixed.

See alert5781 on ESET Support’s website for details. Be advised, the live support session is currently available Monday-Friday from 5 a.m. – 7 p.m. PST.

http://support.eset.com/alert5781/

Jan 23, 2016 7:06 AM in response to LM-id

I have this issue after update 2016-001 - slow or no loading for some internet sites. I don't have ESET installed on my computer. One post suggests looking at the chain of posts that were used to resolve internet problems after installing Yosemite. None of those seem to apply to me. I've had no problems until 2016-001. Very frustrating. Any fixes that work?

No internet after update 2016-001

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.