Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Persistent spotlight indexing

XSERVE froze Monday PM

Reboot not entirely successful in that clients could not search archives via usual AFP, but windows users could - checking via Server Admin failed to display any activity from any of the services, could not revive this... REBOOT now all services GREEN and available to users BUT searching our networked Archives painfully slow. Instead of search for job 123456 producing "instant " results of 123456 pts 1 - 6, Part 1 appeared in search results - then part 2 - then part 3 etc - taking around 30 secs to find the relevant jobs...

I thought that I would re-index the archives to improve the search speed?... been indexing for last 3 days, spotlight indexing indicates a time of 737 hours to complete... this has come down to 30, then climbs back up, and back down, Last night on leaving wor kindexing indicated 5 hours remaining. Searching speed has improved for some jobs at usual speed (successfully indexed?) others taking ages.

Is indexing likely to *ever* stop. My print&graphic colleagues are mightily hacked off!

Currently Spotlight indexing is now calculating the Estimated Indexing Time...

Do I sit it out or should I Be more pro-active - and if so what actions would be recommended, please?

Xserve running 10.6.8 server

Xserve, Mac OS X (10.6.8), client macminis 10.6 and El Capitan

Posted on Jan 21, 2016 3:20 AM

There are no replies.

Persistent spotlight indexing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.