Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac G5 Hard Drive

Hi there,

I have an iMac G5 which has had the whole hard drive component removed. I need brackets to attach the hard drive to the imac

thx, jayden

iPad Mini, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Jan 21, 2016 2:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2016 8:47 PM

You may need to contact a repair facility or authorized Apple service provider who

could have some old inventory or old pulls that may have those parts attached...

Sometime reseller-repairers such as powerbookmedic.com or wegenermedia.com

(may need to call or email) could have some. These parts may interchange between

a few models; not sure if the early Intel-based iMac used exact same bracket parts.

The iFixit.com guides for mac repair should show the part and number. This search

shows a few items: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=hard+drive+bracket+G5+iMac&t=ffsb

Sorry to not be able to help with an exact part or specific vintage inventory answer.

Good luck in this matter! 🙂

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2016 8:47 PM in response to JAYT3CH

You may need to contact a repair facility or authorized Apple service provider who

could have some old inventory or old pulls that may have those parts attached...

Sometime reseller-repairers such as powerbookmedic.com or wegenermedia.com

(may need to call or email) could have some. These parts may interchange between

a few models; not sure if the early Intel-based iMac used exact same bracket parts.

The iFixit.com guides for mac repair should show the part and number. This search

shows a few items: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=hard+drive+bracket+G5+iMac&t=ffsb

Sorry to not be able to help with an exact part or specific vintage inventory answer.

Good luck in this matter! 🙂

Jan 21, 2016 8:47 PM in response to K Shaffer

You could use the method I use when I fix old iPods. I go on eBay and buy a (complete) broken iPod of the same type; as long as that broken iPod is not broken for the same reason as my broken iPod, I have the part I need. And it usually costs LESS than buying the specific part from a "parts scavenger" business (who just buy used broken iPods and remove working parts to re-sell). The brackets for the hard drive are unlikely to be the reason for an iMac G5 to be broken, so you'll have the part you need plus a bunch of other spare parts that you may need in the future. At this point, it may be easier (and maybe even cheaper) to find a complete non-functional iMac G5 of the same type.

Jan 21, 2016 8:47 PM in response to K Shaffer

Yes I know it's very old 12 years old but got it for a good price at 25$, I assume the previous owner removed the hdd along with the hdd caddy and the temperature sensor becuase they're dumb and don't know how to search for how to erase hard drive on google. Its Frustrating. To ship from USA to Australia it costs $28.00 including shipping not really worth it just for a hard drive caddy.\

thx for posting

Jan 21, 2016 9:08 PM in response to JAYT3CH

When I mess around with my older Macs, I often make things like brackets to hold components. For example, to put a 2.5-inch hard drive in the space occupied by a 3.5-inch hard drive. I found a good material to use is the annoying clear plastic packaging that is impossible to open without scissors. I can cut to appropriate size using scissors, bend/fold it as needed, and punch holes for screws. And it's not electrically conductive, so there's no chance of unintentionally causing a short-circuit. It's not perfectly rigid like a metal bracket, but that may not be critical in an iMac that stays mostly stationary.

iMac G5 Hard Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.