Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text messaging

Hi, I send out quite regular group text messages to a prayer chain, but find in the last month or so that I am unable to do so. Obviously I can send to those who are on iMessage, but to normal mobile numbers I cannot, and most of the people I need to message are on other mobiles, not iPhones. Mine is an iPhone 5s, latest updates etc, and my provider and my local Apple franchise have looked at the settings and say they cannot do anything, it is an issue with Apple and needs to come from them. As it stands I am having to send individual messages by copy and paste, which is a bit tedious, especially if I need to reply and forward quickly.

Does anyone have any advice?

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Jan 21, 2016 3:34 AM

3 replies

Jan 22, 2016 10:21 AM in response to angebg78

Hello there, angebg78.

It sounds like you're having issues sending out a group message to a particular group that includes folks that aren't on an iPhone and using iMessage. The following Knowledge Base article offers up some great information on troubleshooting:

If you can‘t send or receive messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If your messages aren't sending, or you aren't getting messages

Check your contact information:

1. Make sure that you're using the right phone number or email address for the contact.
  2. Go to Settings > Messages > Blocked and make sure that the contact isn't on your block list.

If messages won't send to a certain person or you need help with group messages

Sometimes your messages won't send to a particular contact, or you might have issues with group messages. For example, you might reply to a group conversation and receive your own message. Or you might get a new phone number and see your old one listed as a recipient in an existing group conversation. Delete the conversation* that has the issue and start a new conversation:
  1. Open Messages and look at your list of conversations.
  2. Swipe from right to left on the conversation you want to delete. Then tap Delete.
  3. Open Messages, tap User uploaded file, and enter the phone number or email address of your contact or contacts.
  4. Write a new message and tap send.
*When you delete a conversation, you won’t be able to recover it. If you want to save parts of conversations or their attachments, you can take screenshots. You can also touch and hold an attachment or message bubble, then tap More > Save. User uploaded file

Restart your device and check for updates

1. Restart your device.
  2. Check for a carrier settings update.
  3. Check for an iOS software update.

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Kind Regards.

Feb 4, 2016 1:37 AM in response to pedro d

Thank you for this. It hasn't really helped as I had done all this anyway. I have tried again, but no joy. It is since one of the updates we had a few weeks ago, and as I don't send group messages on a regular basis - sometimes I send several in one day, sometimes none for several weeks - I didn't pick it up for a while.

Thank you for your advice anyway. I think it is something Apple need to look at, as I love my iPhones, but if I can't communicate properly with non-Apple users I will have to think again,

Best wishes,

Angela.

Text messaging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.