Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem putting files into the trash (i-Mac)

El Capitan version 10.11.2 (Error Code-43) I can’t put any folders (with files) into the trash. The operation cannot be completed because one or more required items can’t be found. Any ideas what’s going on?

Posted on Jan 21, 2016 6:20 AM

3 replies

Jan 22, 2016 12:36 PM in response to Isaacson_1

Hello Isaacson_1,
I understand that you are receiving an error when attempting to delete files on your Mac.
I have found an article for you that speaks to this type of error. Typically it is related to a character that is not normally used when naming a file. This could include things like: ? [ ] / \ = + < > ; : " , | *
Take a look at this first link for more details.
Mac OS X, Mac OS X Server: "Error -43" When Using Windows File Sharing (SMB)
https://support.apple.com/en-us/TS2039

Another good troubleshooting steps is to verify the integrity of your Mac's hard drive. Take a look at the next article and I recommend using Safe Mode and using Disk Utility to verify this.
Resolve startup issues and perform disk maintenance with Disk Utility and fsck
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203176​

Try Safe Mode

If you're using Mac OS X 10.2 or later, you can start up your computer in Safe Mode, which includes an automatic disk check and repair. If you're using Mac OS X 10.1.5 or earlier, skip to the next section. A Safe Boot, which starts up your computer into Safe Mode, might allow you to start up your computer successfully. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Start up in Safe Mode.
  2. After the system has fully started up, restart your computer again normally.

If your Mac successfully restarts, the issue should be resolved. If the issue continues, try using Disk Utility.

Try Disk Utility

Use these steps to use the Disk Utility app to verify or repair a disk.

1. If you're using OS X Lion or later, start the computer from Recovery System or Internet Recovery. If you're using an older version of OS X and your computer came with a Mac OS X Install disc, insert the installation disc and restart the computer while holding the C key instead.
  2. When your computer finishes starting up, choose Disk Utility from the Utilities window, or from the Installer menu if you're started from an installation disc.
  3. Click the First Aid tab.
  4. Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.
  5. Select your Startup Disk (usually named "Macintosh HD").
  6. Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

Tip: With Mac OS X v10.6 and earlier, always start up your computer from an Install or Restore disc when using Disk Utility to verify or repair your startup volume. Otherwise, you might see some disk error messages.

Hope this helps.
Take care

Problem putting files into the trash (i-Mac)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.