Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where are Notes files stored

Hi all,

Today I reinstalled my MacBook Pro 2015, however I do not find how to restore my notes. I did a lot of searching on the internet and did find out where the notes are stored in the Library (Where are Notes files stored?), However it seems this trick does not work for El Capitan.

There is so much important information stored in the notes so I hope they will not be lost.

Macbook Pro Retina

OS X El Capitan 10.11.3

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Jan 21, 2016 8:01 AM

12 replies

Jul 26, 2017 5:05 PM in response to Rysz

I managed to restore my missing note! For the benefit of others, here's how.

I had the foresight to archive the iTunes backup made days before the disappearance. Made a fresh backup. Turned AirPlane Mode on and restored my iPhone from the older backup. The missing note reappeared in Notes app. Apple says that backups do not include files that are otherwise synced via iCloud, but that, apparently, is not true. All 500 of my notes were recoverable from the backup.

Jan 21, 2016 12:34 PM in response to bthruxton

This procedure will revert the whole Notes database to a previous version. It's not possible to restore individual notes.

Please quit the Notes application if it's running.

1. Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Notes

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services ▹ Reveal in Finder (or just Reveal)

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with an item named "com.apple.Notes" selected. Move the selected item to the Trash, then restore it from a backup that predates the unwanted change. If you back up with Time Machine, enter it and select the snapshot from which you want to restore.

2. Do as in Step 1 with this line:

~/Library/Group Containers/group.com.apple.notes

This time the selected item will be "group.com.apple.notes", or you may get an alert that the item doesn't exist. If the latter happens, skip this step.

3. Log out or restart the computer and empty the Trash. Launch Notes. You may see a "Welcome to Notes" splash screen, as if you had never launched it before. Click Continue.

4. If you synchronize Notes with iCloud or another network service, the notes you restored may be immediately deleted after you restore them. In that case, temporarily disconnect from the Internet, for example by turning off your broadband adapter, and restore again. Copy the contents of each note to a document in another application, such as TextEdit. Reconnect to the Internet. If the notes are deleted, recreate them from the TextEdit document. They should then synchronize to the network.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go ▹ Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You may not see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Nov 29, 2016 11:57 PM in response to Linc Davis

I do appreciate the information on the Notes location on Mac. Respectfully though, I have a problem with step 4. I have several hundred notes, including attachments, such as images, links, PDF files. The notes are stored across numerous folders. Copying all this manually into another application, especially given various formats of the attachments, is simply impractical.

Is that all we can expect from Mac software/ecosystem, with all the feature glitz and push to the "seamless cloud", to resort to manual copy/paste workaround while disconnected from Internet? What is the point of having a backup, especially TimeMachine, if an average user can't easily run an intuitive restore operation?

Also, speaking of your point on how to prevent an immediate deletion of a restored Notes database. Would the following sequence work:

1. Disable Notes in iCloud Preferences, thus deleting them across all devices for the account, including the iCloud

2. Restore the database files, per your recommendation above

3. Enable Notes in the iCloud, thus inducing it to sync across the iCloud. I assume Apple programming geniuses included a provision in the software to check for an existing Notes database, and to give precedence across an empty or uninitialized iCloud Notes and consequently on the rest of the devices for the given account.

If this doesn't work, then maybe the following sequence would do it:

1. Disable Notes in iCloud Preferences, thus deleting them across all devices for the account, including the iCloud

2. Restore the database files, per your recommendation above

3. Move the entire folder/notes hierarchy from the iCloud account within Notes to the local On My Mac account.

4. Enable Notes in the iCloud Preferences. The sync would not affect On My Mac account because it's local not iCloud.

5. Move the folder/notes hierarchy back to the iCloud account within Notes. Subsequent sync should override the empty database on iCloud.

I have not tried all of this because until reading your post I didn't know the location of the Notes database. To be honest, even now I am not sure I have the nerve to experiment with all that. I am concerned that if I break it I would not be able to restore it properly.

Please advise on all that. It would be greatly appreciated.

Where are Notes files stored

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.