Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac not waking from sleep properly since el capitan upgrade.

I have an iMac Late 2012 running OS X El Capitan 10.11.3 and since I upgraded from Yosemite I've experienced this problem.

I think Apple really need to address this.

My iMac does not wake from sleep properly, if I press the mouse/keyboard the screen comes on and shows the user login pictures etc but no cursor. It immediately goes black then around 10-15 seconds later you have to press the mouse again and then you can login normally. This is extremely annoying for a machine that used to start up instantly.

Before anyone suggests resetting the PRAM shutting down and restarting etc. I've tried all that and it hasn't worked.

There must be some sort of bug in El Capitan.

Please help

Tim Wallis

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Jan 21, 2016 10:25 AM

3 replies

Jan 21, 2016 10:43 AM in response to TJW69

Likely not a bug as you are the only person I have seen report the problem. The issue is likely due to something installed on your system or some setting you have done.

First verify the System Preferences - Energy Saver settings. If they are set correctly please rese the SMC and PRAM 2-3 times back to back per the instructions in iMac SMC and PRAM reset.

If these resets don't work, then create a new user account and log into that test and see if the problem replicates itself. If it does not then you know the issue is with your primary user account and need to find the issue. In that case you can start by posting an EtreCheckreport of your system. We can then look for obvious issues. Please click the link, download the app and run the report. Once you have the report, please copy and paste it to your reply to this post.

If you would like more info on what EtreCheck is, simply click the link and you will find a description of the app.

Another possible culprit is a peripheral that is attached to your computer. To test, this will take a process of elimination. Just something to think of.

iMac not waking from sleep properly since el capitan upgrade.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.