Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is waking up my iMac G5 PPC 2.1GHz, OS X 10.4.11 ?

I have been having this problem for a while: my iMac occasionally wakes up if I swich on a desklamp, or sometimes when I just walk by the computer.

I would like to know what could be the reason for these wakeup events.

Here is a list of events written in the Terminal application when I wrote "syslog":

"

Jan 21 16:48:10 Macintosh V??[125] <Alert>: sleep demand recorded: Thu Jan 21 16:48:10 2016;;

Jan 21 17:53:33 Macintosh launchd <Notice>: Server cbcb in bootstrap 1103 uid 0: "/usr/sbin/lookupd"[1991]: exited abnormally: Hangup

Jan 21 17:53:33 Macintosh lookupd[1994] <Notice>: lookupd (version 369.8) starting - Thu Jan 21 17:53:33 2016

Jan 21 17:53:33 Macintosh configd[37] <Notice>: posting notification com.apple.system.config.network_change

Jan 21 17:53:33 Macintosh configd[37] <Notice>: posting notification com.apple.system.config.network_change

Jan 21 17:53:34 Macintosh configd[37] <Notice>: posting notification com.apple.system.config.network_change

Jan 21 17:53:36 Macintosh lookupd[1995] <Notice>: lookupd (version 369.8) starting - Thu Jan 21 17:53:36 2016

Jan 21 17:53:36 Macintosh launchd <Notice>: Server cc27 in bootstrap 1103 uid 0: "/usr/sbin/lookupd"[1995]: exited abnormally: Hangup

Jan 21 17:53:37 Macintosh lookupd[1996] <Notice>: lookupd (version 369.8) starting - Thu Jan 21 17:53:37 2016

Jan 21 17:53:37 Macintosh configd[37] <Notice>: posting notification com.apple.system.config.network_change

Jan 21 17:53:37 Macintosh launchd <Notice>: Server cc2b in bootstrap 1103 uid 0: "/usr/sbin/lookupd"[1996]: exited abnormally: Hangup

Jan 21 17:53:37 Macintosh lookupd[1997] <Notice>: lookupd (version 369.8) starting - Thu Jan 21 17:53:37 2016

Jan 21 17:53:44 Macintosh V??[125] <Alert>: sleeptime recorded: Thu Jan 21 16:48:10 2016;;

Jan 21 17:53:44 Macintosh V??[125] <Alert>: waketime is: Thu Jan 21 17:53:44 2016;;

"

Could that info give any idea about the cause for odd wakeup events, and/or what to do to fix the problem, or to find out more info?

This computer doesn't use any bluetooth or wifi peripherals, and the bluetooth and wifi are turned off. The computer has attached the original Apple usb-keyboard, a thirdparty usb-mouse, one usb-2 extension cord into which I have added a usb-2 router for 4 usb devices, into which I often attach an Epson scanner and/or a usb-memorystick. Then I have attached one LaCie external harddrive over firewire 400 cord, which is the original LaCie-made cord with anti-magnetizer (the small magnet in the cord). All of these peripherals should be in good condition, and they do not cause odd wake ups in my other iMac (G4 PPC).

The computer is attached to internet over an ethernet cord (cat6 -standard cord) but the cord doesn't go straight to the cablemodem, it goes to an ethernet router that is located very close to the computer desk.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11), iSight, G5 PowerPC (3.1), 2.1 GHz

Posted on Jan 21, 2016 8:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2016 12:02 AM

Does the power source, the wall socket, have a good ground? Are there any power strips or

other wires in proximity to your USB cables? These can act like inductive antenna for pulse

signals from other devices; even though you don't use wireless. Some newer devices also

have a wireless component such as printers with their own wi-fi in addition to USB/ethernet.

Some of my lights near the computer sometimes can appear to awaken a sleeping Mac.

Usually just a static spark, in dry lack of humidity environs, near the light or any ground,

could equally be guilty of awakening the computer. Or some jackets, if removed in the

same room as the sleeping computer(s) may awaken at least one. I try to ground myself

before taking off some of the worst offenders. Also carpeted floors can generate static.

Noticed this thread, after seeing the other one. 😎

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2016 12:02 AM in response to hakimac

Does the power source, the wall socket, have a good ground? Are there any power strips or

other wires in proximity to your USB cables? These can act like inductive antenna for pulse

signals from other devices; even though you don't use wireless. Some newer devices also

have a wireless component such as printers with their own wi-fi in addition to USB/ethernet.

Some of my lights near the computer sometimes can appear to awaken a sleeping Mac.

Usually just a static spark, in dry lack of humidity environs, near the light or any ground,

could equally be guilty of awakening the computer. Or some jackets, if removed in the

same room as the sleeping computer(s) may awaken at least one. I try to ground myself

before taking off some of the worst offenders. Also carpeted floors can generate static.

Noticed this thread, after seeing the other one. 😎

Jan 22, 2016 12:45 AM in response to K Shaffer

Thank you for reply.

I think I manage solving this problem by my self at the moment. I'll ask later specificly if I find a something specific to ask.

Here is some more background info, incase interested and have time to read:

The electricity wall socket in the wall and it's groundwire are good as the electric-infra on this part of the apartment was renovated to modern standards some 10 years ago, and also the whole main power cabinet of the apartment. However, there are still are some old electric-cables, those thick 1950's copperwires, in some walls that are actually in use (forexample the ceiling lights use that old system mostly), but none of my computer electronics are attached to them/to the old electric house system.

After having lived with these kinds of odd computer wakeups for many years, I have come to a conclusion that they occur mostly in the winter time, when househeating is up and the apartment has a dry air, which knowingly induces somekind of electricity "in the air". In the winter time I can get small static sparks from quite a many sources in the apartment, they don't even have to be electrical equipment. I assume that's common everywhere where winters are cold and houses are heated.

I have quite a many power strips under and around the working desk, but these are all connected to the renovated electric housesystem. Some of these power strips I keep mostly off and swich them on only when I need to use that special electonic item that thakes it's power from that strip. All these power strips should be good and they are rather new, and not the cheapest possible kind.

I also have quite a many usb-cables going 'around' my work desk to external hardisks, scanners, printers, etc. Two old iMac's have a firewire 400 external harddrive in each. These peripherals, mostly usb-cords do actually go very close to some power-cords and can even touch them, that might be a problem, as noticed (thanks!).

I have two scanner-printers that have also wifi-option in them. However, I don't use the wifi in them, both are linked to computers by wire/cable, the otherone by usb and the other one by ethernet. This ethernet scanner-printer (Epson SX510w) actually has my suspicion that it might be somekind of troublemaker, however the wifi in it cannot be the cause as I have checked that it is off (it doesn't have a green diode light on that marks the wifi).

Ofcource my work desk has a lamp, and actually two. One of those could be the troublemaker...

I do have some small external loudspeaker-system also attached to the computers which ofcourse could be the troublemaker as well...

It's a mess of things, I know. Thanks for the interest and comments anyway!

What is waking up my iMac G5 PPC 2.1GHz, OS X 10.4.11 ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.