Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Browsers Won't Load Specific Websites - MacBook

I have Safari, Chrome, and Firefox installed on my MacBook Pro running El Capitan 10.11.3. I can access websites like Google, facebook, wikipedia, twitter, all fine. But for a lot of smaller websites and news websites, the pages won't load on any browser. Even this forum had trouble loading.

If I log in as a Safari only, Guest I can access all websites fine.

Things I've tried:

1. DNS flush
  2. Browser specific stuff like clearing browser cache, plugins, etc.
  3. Deleted SystemConfiguration folder
  4. Changed DNS to opendns and google
  5. Created a new user
  6. Turned off firewall and antivirus
  7. Tried a different network - same issue happening at work, home and coffee shop
  8. disabled IPV6
  9. created new network location (for some odd reason right when I do this pages will sometimes load but then immediately the issue starts up again)

None of this has resolved the issue.

I've read on other posts that this same issue was caused by antivirus software. Other than ESET I can't find any other anti-virus that I've installed. I run ESET antivirus and I've had it installed for over a year. I've turned it off with no luck.

One strange thing I've noticed is if I open up the web inspector in chrome and watch the network tab, all the image files (jpg, PNG, etc.) aren't loading from the server. They're all left hanging on sites where I experience this issue. I tried this for about a dozen different sites.

I'm about to just do a complete reinstall but wanted to come here first to see if anyone has further ideas.

Please help!!!

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Jan 21, 2016 10:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2016 11:15 AM

I would try uninstalling Eset.

6 replies

Jan 21, 2016 11:15 AM in response to rcarrigan87

I've read on other posts that this same issue was caused by antivirus software. Other than ESET I can't find any other anti-virus that I've installed. I run ESET antivirus and I've had it installed for over a year. I've turned it off with no luck.

So-called Anti-Virus software is of no incremental use on a Mac (which is not subject to spontaneous attack from the Internet). It interferes with the built-in Anti-malware features already installed, and is known to make Macs unstable.

Simply disabling such programs does not suffice. They must be completely and properly Un-Installed using the manufacturer's Un-Installer.

Jan 21, 2016 12:56 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I had the same problem especially after ESET updated 2 days ago. I uninstalled ESET and now everything works perfect! I had updated to El Capitan a few weeks ago and maybe ESET doesn't work with it very well. Are you saying there isn't any need for security software because it is a MAC? Should I install something else? I never had ESET inform me of any problems anyway in the last 2 years I have had it running.

Browsers Won't Load Specific Websites - MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.