Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Could Not Complete the Backup

Since the start of the year my Time Machine has not been backing up. I do not know why and am seeking any advice to get it working again.

The message that keeps appearing is The backup disk could not be found. Make sure the backup disk is connected or select a different backup disk.

I have unplugged the TM on several occasions, rebooted my Mac to no avail. I am using my MBP wifi through the TM without a problem, it just won't back up.

I am using Yosemite 10.10.5

Please can someone help me?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9), Still learning how to use a Mac!

Posted on Jan 21, 2016 9:58 AM

7 replies

Jan 21, 2016 1:17 PM in response to Claire Rodgers

Please try the following on your Mac:

Open System Preferences (bear icon on the dock)

Open Time Machine

Make sure Time Machine is "ON"

Click Add or Remove Disk

If there any Disks under Backup Disks, click the disk (probably named "Data", unless you changed the name) to highlight it

Click Remove Disk at the lower right of the window

Do the same for any other disks that might be shown under Backup Disks

Close the windows

Restart your Mac

Restart the Time Capsule by pulling the power cord from the back of the device, wait a few seconds, then plug the power cord back in and allow a full minute for the device to restart

Open System Preferences again on your Mac

Open Time Machine

Make sure that Time Machine is "ON"

Click Select Disk

Click on "Data" or the name of your disk if it is different

Click Use Disk

Wait a few minutes, the click the Time Machine "clock" icon at the very top of the Mac's screen

Click Backup Now

"Preparing" will take a long time.......possibly up to several hours.....before the backup will begin. Keep your Mac close to the Time Capsule if you are using wireless

Report on your results

Jan 25, 2016 11:43 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Me again! I seem to be taking 1 step forward, 2 steps back :-( I keep having to follow your instructions to get the TM to work again. It appears that once my Mac goes into sleep mode and I wake it up, it doesn't recognise my TM and I have to follow your instructions again. This is the message which I keep seeing when I wake up my MBP. Any thoughts?

User uploaded file

Time Machine Could Not Complete the Backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.