Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HD/Fusion Drive locked, can't erase or restore

I was having difficulty with my drive randomly stalling for what seemed like no reason. So, I did a full backup (not with Time Machine... which kept erroring out) and intended to Erase/Recover and then reinstall. Well, in the midst of the Erase process, it errored out and now Disk Ulitities has nearly all the options greyed out. When I do Info. on my Fusion drive all the questions have No as the answer.

One place I saw a way to fix it using Terminal but I don't seem to have that option.

What to do?

Thanks,

Michael

p.s. Before all this, my S.M.A.R.T. status said Failing... could that be why this is happening?

Posted on Jan 21, 2016 9:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2016 7:18 AM

could that be why this is happening?

Yes. A drive is failing, or there is some other internal hardware fault.

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider.

If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keeping your confidential data secure during hardware repair

Apple also recommends that you deauthorize a device in the iTunes Store before having it serviced.

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2016 7:18 AM in response to wunnspeed

could that be why this is happening?

Yes. A drive is failing, or there is some other internal hardware fault.

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider.

If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keeping your confidential data secure during hardware repair

Apple also recommends that you deauthorize a device in the iTunes Store before having it serviced.

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

HD/Fusion Drive locked, can't erase or restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.