Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Xsan 2.2.2 - where do I get license info

We have a legacy system that, due to some legacy software requirements, we cannot upgrade past Snow Leopard.

We need to mount a StorNext SAN Volume.

• I installed Xsan 2.2.2 on a workstation running OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8
  • Created /etc/systemserialnumbers/xsan with the SAN serial number
  • Created fsnameservers with the MDC's in '/Library/FileSystems/Xsan/config/'
  • Created config.plist in '/Library/FileSystems/Xsan/config/' - with the following info:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs$

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>computers</key>

<array/>

<key>metadataNetwork</key>

<string>Our MD network</string>

<key>role</key>

<string>CLIENT</string>

<key>sanName</key>

<string>OUR SAN NAME</string>

<key>serialNumbers</key>

<array>

<dict>

<key>license</key>

<string>???????</string>

<key>organization</key>

<string>OUR COMPANY</string>

<key>registeredTo</key>

<string>enter department name here</string>

</dict>

</array>

</dict>

</plist>

• When I run cvadmin, it can see all the SAN's
  • But a mount attempt fails with:

Cannot mount. License authorization failure.

I suspect the entry giving us trouble is the license key (maybe):

<key>license</key>

<string>???????</string>

In that field I tried entering the SAN S/N that matches the entry in /etc/systemserialnumbers/xsan, but it fails as well.

What license does it want here?

Where do I find it?

Do I get this from the MDC or some other place?

Thanks for any help.

Posted on Jan 21, 2016 12:26 PM

2 replies

Jan 21, 2016 2:53 PM in response to TGH

Additional info.

I was told for Xsan 2.2 one actually needed a license. I was able to find an XSAN 2 SINGLE LICENSE card from an old install that is no longer in use. So I entered that license key under config.plist - as a string for <key>license</key> but it still gives the same error.

Jan 27, 2016 9:37 PM in response to TGH

You may need to run "sudo RegisterSeRV" in Terminal to ensure that the serial number is recognized. Text will be returned if the serial number is not recognized. No messages are displayed if the serial number is successfully registered.

The /etc/systemserialnumbers/xsan file should be a plain text file with contents:

XSAN-020-XXX-XXX-X-XXX-XXX-XXX-XXX-XXX-XXX-X

registered to|organization

The file should NOT have a newline character ("\n") at the end of the last line.

If you have other Xsan 2 clients on the network, make sure none of them are using the same serial number.

You shouldn't need to do anything with the config.plist, other than making sure it has a "role" key with string value of "CLIENT". The serialNumbers array in that file is only needed on Xsan MDCs for tracking which client uses which license; its not needed/used on client systems. You don't have to worry about Xsan serial numbers if you run Lion or newer.

Xsan 2.2.2 - where do I get license info

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.