Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot install latest version of itunes, keep getting error msg: "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable"

Cannot install latest version of iTunes. Every time I try I get this error msg: "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable."

I then click OK and get this msg: the path C:\users\my name\appdata\local\apple\apple software update\itunes6464.msi cannot be found.

I need to sync my new iPad pro and won't sync because requires the latest update, I do have my laptop but I have never syncd my ipad with this computer and if I try it will backup if I agree to erase everything on my device and sync with the laptop. Of course I do not want to do this as I want everything to appear on NEW ipad from the older version.

I went to troubleshooting and found a fix but when I had finished doing all this trouble report said, there was one pesky itunes shortcut file left and I cannot delete this shortcut no matter how many times I try. If I can't delete it, the Installation will not proceed. How can I delete this file?

Itunes-OTHER, Windows 10

Posted on Jan 21, 2016 2:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2016 7:17 PM

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates. Start with Missing MSI errors.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try the iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for installation or performance issues, or compatibility with QuickTime or third party software.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2016 7:17 PM in response to woodle48

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates. Start with Missing MSI errors.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try the iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for installation or performance issues, or compatibility with QuickTime or third party software.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

Apr 7, 2016 7:05 AM in response to turingtest2

thanks again. I followed and did everything you listed but still had problems. I started the delete process again, found Local and deleted those files, etc. but although I got further my download still stalled. I found and used the Microsoft tool (also on this site) but I still had the problem. Lastly having found and deleted all files loaded from the failed installs, I had to go and delete old files, but still could not find the correct msi file. I repeated everything again but this time I added a registry cleaner. Finally success! I also found my itunes library transfer file which I needed to restore my library. It is astounding that this sort is still a problem and neither Apple nor Microsoft will provide an easier fix. Microsoft even stopped having the Microsoft fixer available. I'm glad you guys are around!

cannot install latest version of itunes, keep getting error msg: "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.