Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error: "cannot parse response" (NSURLErrorDomain:-1017)

I see this was placed on the support board a couple days ago and the solution helped identify where the problem lie, but I've been able to go no further. I need help.

So, Last night, running Yosemite, I did the latest security update 2016-001, and all of a sudden, some websites stopped loading after the update. I was using Firefox 43.0.4, but I'm able to recreate this in Safari as well. I know the update caused the problem because the site I was going to was working before the update and then not after. Specifically, goutletpens.com And the site loads on my iPad and every Windows machine I have, but not my main Mac anymore. When I ran it on Firefox, I get a blank page in response. When I run it in Safari, I get the error "cannot parse response" (NSURLErrorDomain:-1017). I would have ignored this, except, working today, I had a similar problem where many other pages I needed, but not all, stopped working or did not work properly either. I had been meaning to update to El Capitan, so I thought I would do that and see if it solved the problem. It did not. I also made sure Java and Flash were updated to the latest versions, just in case. Looking through the support pages, I saw someone else had this problem, and I saw the suggestion to try booting into safe mode and see if the page worked. I did, and everything loaded fine.

So my question is, obviously something that safe mode disabled is causing the problem. How do I go about pulling up the list of potential culprets and disabling them one by one until I discover what got broken the last couple days. I can't just go into Firefox, because I am getting this problem with both browsers.

Thanks.

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Jan 21, 2016 6:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2016 7:12 PM

Have you installed any kind of "anti-virus" software, such as "Avast" or "ESET"? If so, remove it according to the developer's instructions after backing up all data. All such software is worse than useless.

7 replies

Jan 22, 2016 5:36 PM in response to Linc Davis

I got the same problem; with Safari, Chrome and FireFox. First I thought ESET was the culprit. I disabled all functions, but that did not solve it. Then I blamed it on the OSX update. I recovered my complete system to a state before the update (OS X Yosemite: Recover your entire system); no solution. Then I removed some preference files and all caches; no solution. After reading this conversation, I uninstalled ESET (http://support.eset.com/kb3239/?ref=yt), enabled the OSX-firewall and rebooted. Problem seems to solved and browsing is much faster. I think I need new anti-virus software.

Error: "cannot parse response" (NSURLErrorDomain:-1017)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.