Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do messages delete on their own even when they are not set to delete after a certain time period? Why do the messages appear out of order at times?

I have the iPhone 5c and currently my messages have not been working correctly. Now my messages will delete on their own and sometimes appear out of order according to the date. Like today, my recent messages would show at the bottom of all of my messages. Also, my phone will cut off an on by itself and I can't figure out what is causing the problem.

Thank you in advance.

iPhone 5c

Posted on Jan 21, 2016 8:09 PM

1 reply

Jan 23, 2016 7:38 AM in response to shelby.melton

Hello Shelby,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

I see that you are having a few issues with your Mail app on your iPhone. I would first start with the following steps of restarting the phone and the app:

Restart the app

Close the app and open it again.

Restart your device

Turn your device off and back on.

Check for iOS and app updates

1. Make sure that you're using latest version of iOS.
  2. Open the App Store and tap Updates.
  3. If updates are available, tap Update All.
  4. If asked, enter your Apple ID password.

You might need a Wi-Fi connection to update some apps.

From this article: If an app you installed unexpectedly quits, stops responding, or won’t open

If these steps do not resolve the issues, then I would recommend restoring your iPhone, that is the only way to reinstall the Mail app should it be at fault.

Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup

Best regards.

Why do messages delete on their own even when they are not set to delete after a certain time period? Why do the messages appear out of order at times?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.