Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Pro X 10.2.1 update system overload problem

I have been using Logic Pro X for two months on my new MacBook Pro with 16gb of RAM with no major problems. Just after updating to the 10.2.1 version, the programme cannot cope with a 26 track jingle I had been working on and constantly issues the "system overload" message. The LCD display shows CPU use at 50% when 5 to 10 tracks are being used and it's overwhelmed when the rest come into play for the Chorus. This had never happened before.

Checking the Activity Monitor while playing the song shows the computer is using ONLY 7GB of RAM of the 16GB I have (and this while having Safari open with many tabs and other Apps) and the CPU use is ONLY at 20%!

What has happened and how can I fix this? I need to work on this project urgently!

I may have learned the lesson never to update the software while working on a project whose deadline is fast approaching.

Disappointed.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Jan 22, 2016 5:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2016 10:09 AM

I'm having the exact same issue and it's getting very very annoying

50 replies

Jan 25, 2016 12:26 PM in response to luraplitmur

I am having the same issue. macbook pro early 2011 17". with 10.2 songs, I can not even play them in 10.2.1 due to significantly increased CPU load with 10.2.1. Here is a screen shot of the exact same song playing in 10.2 and 10.2.1 at the exact same point in the song. This problem exists across all my songs and also when I create new ones. I have since deprecated back to 10.2 so I can work.

User uploaded file

Jan 25, 2016 4:16 PM in response to Plexus

I'm so glad to find that I'n not alone in this! After speaking to Apple Support and using some guidance on how to isolate the problem I have reached the following conclusion: the system overload message seems to appear only when using a third party plugin, namely, the Native Instruments Reaktor based Mikro Prism. Are you using this plugin as well? If so, this would settle the issue - it would be a matter of NI updating the plugin. I can use the also Native Instruments Kontact plugin without a problem. How did you downgrade to 10.2? Via Time Machine? Thank you!

Jan 25, 2016 4:18 PM in response to max.lindenbaum

I am copying the same reply I wrote to Plexus below:

"I'm so glad to find that I'n not alone in this! After speaking to Apple Support and using some guidance on how to isolate the problem I have reached the following conclusion: the system overload message seems to appear only when using a third party plugin, namely, the Native Instruments Reaktor based Mikro Prism. Are you using this plugin as well? If so, this would settle the issue - it would be a matter of NI updating the plugin. I can use the also Native Instruments Kontact plugin without a problem."

I hope we can find a solution soon...! It is extremely annoying, as I'm currently using Mikro Prism in so many projects...

Jan 25, 2016 7:45 PM in response to max.lindenbaum

For what it is worth...

After every update to Logic, (or in many cases a major upgrade to OS X) there seems to be a small group of people for whom the update causes a perceived or real drop in performance...

It's often hard to properly identify why this occurs as it certainly doesn't affect everyone....

Some examples of the most common causes have been found to be;

1) The particular hardware they are using.... Certain Graphic cards.... Audio interfaces... even certain external Hard Drives etc.... and the use of USB2/3 ports...

2) 3rd party plugins.... other related drivers.. Other software installed on the same Mac... Conflicts with such software... older unused drivers lurking around..

3) Bad habits in the use of Logic ( that didn't really affect performance in earlier or in some cases later versions..until things changed) like leaving Analyze mode on in EQ once you have completed EQ'ing or using multiple copies of a CPU hungry plugin when you could bus it... and use just one copy.

4) Changes in libraries or other such routines in OS X or that Logic accesses...that do place greater demands on any given Mac's hardware... and if you happen to have certain types of hardware you will notice the drop more than others...

Methods of working in / The general work flows used with Logic can explain the differences some people see in terms of performance... Example, some people use a given built in plugin such as an EQ or Compressor, more than others might and so that do, and if thats the plugin that now needs more CPU resources.. those people will notice a greater drop in performance... compared to people that dont use those plugins to the same degree.

I have three El Cap and LPX testbed 2014/2015 iMac rigs here and on all three, the combo of 10.2.1 and OS X 10.11.2, 10.11.3 and 10.11.4 seems to provide for either a very small boost in performance or pretty much the same as it was before in 10.2. Certainly no noticeable drop in performance across multiple projects created originally in 10.2

Does that mean, there is no real problem? No.. but again, its just an example of how different setups may be affected by certain changes, than others... and not always negatively.

I know this post isn't that helpful to those seeing such an issue but I thought it was worth mentioning never the less... and for those that do, make sure you are using the latest versions of whatever other software/drivers and plugins you may have installed... that are also compatible with the version of OS X you are running under. One errant plugin or driver for example, can trip up a system...... causing poor performance..

I'd also recommend loading up such a project where you have an overload issue and run Etrecheck...

http://www.etrecheck.com

Look carefully through the report and see if anything stands out that could be the root cause of your issues.. like unused or out of date drivers/ apps.. Stuff running in the Foreground /Background that you dont use...or need..... Any Adware present and so on.... Sometimes doing this will improve if not fully resolve such problems..

Finally, of course... you dont always need to have the latest and greatest software installed..... Sometimes it's better to stick with a combination of Logic and OS X that works best for your setup... This is why several of us here still run a combo of 10.6.8 and Logic Pro 9.1.6 or 8. That particular combo is stable as heck and runs like a dream. Sure, we cant use the latest plugins.. and yes, we are probably missing out on some new Logic features.. and yes, we have to maintain our old hardware in order to be able to do this... but at the end of the day its all about making music in a relaxed yet efficient way..... and a stable setup you understand inside and out, often provides for that.

Just some thoughts i wanted to share... and as always, each to their own 🙂

Cheers..

Nigel

Jan 26, 2016 8:17 AM in response to luraplitmur

I am not using Native Instruments Reaktor based Mikro Prism. I do have a lot of 3rd party plugins. It would be arduous for me to try and troubleshoot by removing plugins. It's not that important to me really so I will just stick with 10.2 and hope apple address this. Frankly a minor update shouldn't break because of a plugin. But that's apple for you.

Jan 26, 2016 8:52 AM in response to max.lindenbaum

Max,

You hopefully dont need to do or worry about any of that.

You just need to restore the single Logic Pro X app file from your backup I believe...

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2015/07/11/how-view-and-restore-specific-files-time -machine/

Fingers crossed thats all you will need to do.... but if not and for whatever reason the update has altered other files etc.. that mess up when used with 10.2... then yes, you will need to then, make a manual copy of all projects you have created to an external HD ... since that last backup and then do a full restore back to the date of your last back..

Then you can manually restore the newer projects etc back to your mac after that roll back is complete...

From reports I have read, just rolling back the app itself to 10.2 will do the trick however.

Note: This is why you should always let Time Machine make continuous or at the very least, daily backups... assuming you are using TM to do so... so you don't have this issue in the future... or simply make a manual backup of the Logic Pro X app before updating.

Jan 26, 2016 12:13 PM in response to Plexus

Plexus wrote:

yes. that doesn't help the performance issue, with either setting.

Indeed.. To understand those new settings see Edgar's excellent (and free) GEM guide to 10.2.1 found here...

http://logicprogem.com/LogicProGEM/LPXv10_2_1.html

Page 46........

Note: I cannot recommend Edgar's GEM series of Ebooks/PDFs more.. They are my 'go to' reference guides to all things Logic these days.... 🙂

Logic Pro X 10.2.1 update system overload problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.