Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Debate about AAC and mp3

So I somehow 'forgot' to do any better than 320 mp3s and ripped my entire collection of 250 CDs onto my PC. I know I used iTunes LAME before but that was when I had an iMac. (LAME also takes more space so not so good for portable...) So when I recently read up that AAC was better (I don't want lossless, I need small files for putting tunes on my iPhone) I almost had a heart attack. However when I looked into it, it appears that AAC only wins over mp3 at bit rates of 192 or below so I have nothing to worry about... I also did a blind test and the mp3s seem to be equivalent at 320 to the AACs at 256, which is also what a lot of people are saying. Also have read that at highest bitrates it becomes a difference of encoding characteristics and what they both sound like on particular songs, rather than 'quality'.

I know in my heart that I could have ripped a better way, or used LAME, but how much quality do you think I have really lost by not using AAC? We're talking everything direct from CD at 320. I have also read that the iTunes mp3 encoder is crap... I really need to know why people are saying this when others say it is better than some other encoders. iTunes uses what version of Fraunhofer encoder?? I know I should give myself some peace of mind so I am perhaps asking for trouble by posting this question, and I already 'hear' and 'think' I have not lost much if any, using 320mp3 instead of AAC but I would like to know what other people think about this. I sure hope I won't have to ripe my 250 CDs again! And what mp3 encoder does iTunes use, it can't be THAT bad or 'ancient'??? if I can't tell it from AAC! (I have worked in a studio before and I can't hear the difference!) Please have a look at the links below that back up what I am saying.

Thanks

sources:

http://www.diffen.com/difference/AAC_vs_MP3

https://cdvsmp3.wordpress.com/2014/06/21/aac-vs-mp3-a-comparison-through-null-te sting/#comments

http://www.stereophile.com/content/mp3-vs-aac-vs-flac-vs-cd-page-2#ohrFOJWRKMpel erq.97

iPhone 4S, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Jan 22, 2016 4:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2016 6:03 AM

Most people - especially if using iTunes to play music on computer speakers or using standard headphones with an iDevice - won't be able to tell the difference between mp3/320 and aac/256. Forget the engineering analyses - let your ears make the decision. Personally I use aac/256 when extracting from CDs (more from habit rather than anything else) but purchase digital media from Amazon (aac) rather than the iTunes Store (mp3) - mainly for reasons of portability to non-Apple devices.

Overall, the perceptible difference between mp3/320 and aac/256 is far, far smaller than that between these and any lossless encoding ... and there are many combinations of recorded music and people's ears for which even that difference is insignificant.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2016 6:03 AM in response to randomfeaturezero

Most people - especially if using iTunes to play music on computer speakers or using standard headphones with an iDevice - won't be able to tell the difference between mp3/320 and aac/256. Forget the engineering analyses - let your ears make the decision. Personally I use aac/256 when extracting from CDs (more from habit rather than anything else) but purchase digital media from Amazon (aac) rather than the iTunes Store (mp3) - mainly for reasons of portability to non-Apple devices.

Overall, the perceptible difference between mp3/320 and aac/256 is far, far smaller than that between these and any lossless encoding ... and there are many combinations of recorded music and people's ears for which even that difference is insignificant.

Jan 22, 2016 8:49 AM in response to randomfeaturezero

Is there any chance that mp3 is actually better in some ways? I mean, people say AAC is better but further reading suggests there is more high frequency noise on an AAC than on the equivalent mp3. Is it definitely not worth reripping all my CDs? Or is what you're saying that is I AM that bothered about the sound then perhaps I should play my CDs or rip them as WAV for any other use than my iPhone?

Thanks

Jan 22, 2016 11:22 AM in response to randomfeaturezero

It's entirely up to you - if mp3 or aac sound better to you then that's the way to go. If you compare the sound quality of CD playback vs. lossess vs. lossy and can hear an appreciable difference that you may want to adjust your approach. In general, CDs played on a hi-fi system will sound "better" than equivalent lossless files played on a computer (since hi-fi components are designed for this). Lossless playback will - for sources like well-recorded classical ,music or jazz - sound better that lossy MP3 or AAC. Popular music, particularly recent recordings or "remasters", is often mastered/compressed to just sound LOUD such that the advantages of lossless encoding are diminished.

If you do decide to pursue lossless within iTunes, I would avoid WAV as a format, primarily since this has no capability to embed metadata tags. Apple Lossless (ALAC) supports tagging as well as lossless compression giving files that are 40-50% the size of the corresponding WAV / AIFF (uncompressed PCM) files.

Jan 23, 2016 7:50 AM in response to hhgttg27

Many thanks for your replies, I have a couple more questions if you don't mind.

Would you consider it pointless to rip to FLAC or ALAC when I could save as AIFF? Most of what I'm reading suggests that lossless IS lossless, but a few "experts" say there is a subtle difference between the original and the lossless copy - see below. What I am trying to do is decide on the best format because I have decided I will back up all my CDs again, this time in original quality, and that I don't want to use a CD player or have the actual CDs played at all, preferring to keep them in storage. My amp has a USB input with a darn good DAC and I'm happy with that. So my second question is why does ALAC use 8% more compression than FLAC? And on wikipedia there are a couple of other subtle differences between the two formats. I'm wondering therefore, whether FLAC is better, or stick with ALAC (compatibility issues aside because I already have everything in mp3 for portable use), but also should I scrap the whole idea and go for AIFF (I don't think I'll hear a difference to lossless but some say I will.

What do you think? It will take me several days to rip the discs again so I need to make the right choice. Also I understand there is now a FLAC plugin for itunes..

Many thanks

Scroll down to the quote by Radio_head

http://www.head-fi.org/t/609607/flac-vs-apple-lossless

Jan 23, 2016 8:41 AM in response to randomfeaturezero

If you are going with a compressed format, it is mostly a matter of taste.

With the higher bit rates, I find the differences between MP3 and AAC to be subtle. I seem to hear a little more high frequency clarity with AAC than MP3..

They both cut out frequencies/sounds that sit behind the louder frequencies/sounds, that are present in a lossless format. For mixing and mastering, a lossless format is far better in my opinion. I cannot hear a noticeable difference between the differing lossless formats. In my opinion the headphones/speakers make more difference than the file format.

If the MP3 format sounds good to you, then that is all that matters.

The only time that I notice an appreciable difference in clarity and depth of sound is going from any lossless to any compressed file with a good pair of headphones or studio monitors.

Listening to an iPod/iphone through most earbuds/headphones, I doubt that most can hear much of a difference.

Choose what sounds best to you.

Jan 23, 2016 9:08 AM in response to randomfeaturezero

AIFF will just give you larger file sizes - there should be no audible difference between ALAC and AIFF. FLAC isn't supported in iTunes - although there are 3rd party add-ons that may add this capability, there will be no guarantee of compatibility with future releases of iTunes. It's been a while size I looked into these but AFAIR they enable playback within iTunes but don't support any sync operations with iDevices.

The various lossless formats (ALAC, FLAC, APE, SHN,, ...) use slightly different algorithms which explains variations in file size. Also, most offer variations in degree of compression which offer a playoff between file size and the processing needed for "real time" decompression. Since ALAC is optimized for iTunes there really aren't any significant reasons to use an alternative lossless format.

If I understand your needs correctly I'd suggest ripping your CDs to ALAC, using this as the standard format within your iTunes library, and making use of iTunes' capability to convert songs to a lower bit-rate (128k or 256k AAC) when syncing to your iPhone. This last part does make sync operations a little slower but does mean that you don't have to have two versions of every song in your library.

BTW (and as you may have guessed) I'm very dubious about claims about differences between audio formats that are based on theoretical analyses rather than simple use of the ears 😀

Jan 25, 2016 3:01 AM in response to randomfeaturezero

You can rip all your CDs to iTunes in Apple Lossless format and have iTunes automatically convert them to AAC format when syncing them to an iPhone. This gives you the best of both worlds, you have the full lossless CD quality in iTunes and you have smaller files on the iPhone.

Note: This does not require having both Apple Lossless and AAC on your computer this process is done automatically during syncing - if you enable it.

It is possible to use Apple Lossless tracks in Windows Media Player as well should you need. This requires installing some additional free software for Windows XP, Vista, 7, or 8/8.1 but is now built-in as standard in Windows 10.

As a general comment most people would consider AAC at 256Kbps to be roughly equivalent to 320Kbps MP3 files. iTunes built-in MP3 encoder is not as far as I am aware based on either LAME or Fraunhofer but is written by Apple themselves. Being that MP3 is an official standard it is possible to use a separate program which does use LAME or Fraunhofer to rip your CDs and them import the resulting MP3 files in to iTunes.

Debate about AAC and mp3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.