Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro won't startup

Before I continue and waste your time, is this the proper place to post a question regarding startup problems for my Macbook Pro?

I am presently in Recovery Mode, and I believe I am running 10.8.5.

I cannot provide much more system information as “About this Mac” is not an option in Recovery Mode.

Thank you for your time.

Posted on Jan 22, 2016 8:05 AM

12 replies

Jan 22, 2016 11:09 AM in response to Eric Root

Thank you for the prompt response.

What I can tell you is MacBook Pro, ~5 years old, I believe I am running 10.8.5.

Lately, my machine has been spontaneously crashing, usually after a while, and with a few things open. I suspect theres some bad RAM.

Following this, sometimes during startup, on a grey screen with a white logo, I get a progress bar. This usually takes a few minutes, and then it's back to normal.

Last night, during the grey bar process, it spontaneously shut down, and when I start up, this process simply repeats itself.

I got lucky and while resetting the PRAM, I stumbled across Recovery Mode. t says 18.8.2 when I select the recovery disk during startup.

In Recovery Mode, I am able to run a diagnostic, but I cannot successfully repair. I am instructed to backup, and reinstall.

FSCK will not repair the system.

When in Recovery Mode, if I select “Reinstall Mac OSX, it does not see my internal HD, which is strange, as Disk Utility can see it.

I do not know what 'Restore' means, but it the options I have appears to be either…

a) erase my external and replace it with my internal HD - unacceptable, I can't erase the external

b) erase the internal and replace it with a ”basic system” - not sure of the verbage, I'm not on that screen at the moment, but it's an option on the left in the Disk Utility process.

It has been some time since I have backed up, and would rather not risk erasing the internal, just to see if this 'restore' option (possibly) fixes my machine.

I am working on getting a burner and a hard copy of the OS installers. I have lost mine.

I appear to have the opportunity to burn an image of my internal from the Disk Utility.

I suspect my next steps are:

1. Try to burn an image of the internal

2. In Revovery Mode, select 'the '“restore with base system” option

3. Hope for the best

What are my next steps?

Thank you.

Jan 23, 2016 8:50 AM in response to Eric Root

I tried everything I could from those links:

Disk utility can’t repair.

fsck can't repair.

Verbose mode crashes

sudo fsck_hfl -l /dev/<diskname> doesn’t work.

diskutil verify / in Single User mode doesn’t work.

Can't start up in Safe mode.

Reset PRAM, No change.

Reset SMC. No change.

Unplugged all Peripherals. No change.

Still crashing on grey-screen progress-bar startup.

Do you have any suggestions?

Jan 23, 2016 9:25 AM in response to Brockmann

Get an external drive that has no data on it. Then boot into the Recovery Partition and try using Disk Utility/Restore to copy the data to a new location. Please note that this will reformat the destination partition. That should save your data.

Boot to the Recovery Volume (command - R on a restart or hold down the option/alt key during a restart and select Recovery Volume). Run Disk Utility Verify/Repair Disk and Repair Permissions until you get no errors. Reformat the drive using Disk Utility/Erase Mac OS Extended (Journaled), then click the Option button and select GUID. Then re-install the OS. Use Setup assistant to try to restore your data or set up an account and then manually copy your data to the internal. Then do a backup, preferable 2 separate ones on 2 drives

OS X Recovery

OS X Recovery (2)

Jan 23, 2016 6:14 PM in response to Eric Root

Thank you for the clear instructions.

I got an external with no data on it. I booted into the Recovery Partition and used Disk Utility to restore a copy of my internal to it. It took ~5 hours, but I have not been able to verify the contents of the transfer.

When booting into recovery mode I now see 4 choices:

1. My old HD

2. The original Recovery Mode choice

3. A new HD icon from the external, this time with an orange Firewire icon

4. A new Recovery Mode icon from the external, with an orange Firewire icon

When I tried to startup with the new orange HD icon it did the same crash on grey screen (ias though it coppied my old bad system onto it?). This strikes me as odd/promising as perhaps it is mirroring bad software and not bad hardware?

When I boot into Recovery Mode, and select "Install the OS," it asks me to verify my Apple ID, which I do, clearly as I am on the forums. However, and here's the kicker, it stops me and says (verbage) “I haven't used this ID on the App store yet, we need to verify” at which point the process stops.

I have not used the app store to date.

I don't have access to the app store as I am in very limited recovery mode.

QUESTION: How do I verify my Apple ID with the App store when I cannot access the app store from my curent Recovery Mode, and/or what are my next steps?

Thank you for your time.

Jan 25, 2016 9:01 AM in response to Eric Root

I found a USB stick that I could install an OS onto and boot from, however, when I go through the installation process, I get an error message that says something to the effect of “This Apple ID hasn’t been used in the App store yet. Click here to review.”

I “click here,” and nothing happens.

I believe the limited functionality of the browser in Restore Mode is preventing me from continuing the installation process.

Question: How do I continue the installation process, knowing that I have very limited browser functionality?

Jan 26, 2016 8:51 AM in response to Brockmann

If you have access to another Mac computer, sign into the App Store, go to your Purchases tab, and download 10.8. When downloaded, quit the installer. You can make a bootable USB stick to install using this free program which will do all the work for you. Run Disk Utility to repair/erase the drive and then try to install the OS.

Bootable USB Flash Drive – Diskmaker X

Macbook Pro won't startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.