Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac mid 2011, gray screen of death!

Hi all! (sorry my spelling Im danish)

I have a iMac mid 2011, 2TB HD, 16GB Ram and an Video Card AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB. My problem is the gray screen of death! After boot, i see the Apple logo and the progress bar. When the progress bar stops, the screen goes gray and stops loading. I have tryed the following.

1. Reset SMC og PRAM
  2. Start in single user mode, and fsck -fy
  3. Internet boot form Apple Hardware Test - No errors at all!
  4. Tryed to start i SAFE mode, I see the logo and the progress bar, but it ends with the gray screen of death
  5. Tryed to start with only the orginal RAM
  6. Tryed to start without anny perihperal eqiptment (keyboard, mouse ect.)
  7. Tryed to start in recovery mode and from an USB stik and an install DVD, I see the logo and the progress bar, but it ends with the gray screen of death
  8. Tryed to do an internet restotre from Apple, I see the logo and the progress bar, but it ends with the gray screen of death
  9. Started the iMac in disk target mode, and got acces from another iMac. Ran Disk Utilities and First Aid, still on go!
  10. Started the iMac in disk target mode and made an complet HDD wipe! Made tree new partitions and an clean install from the other iMac. And after this, the probleme iMac cant still start up!
  11. I can boot from the probleme iMac's HDD (in diks target mode) via the other iMac, so I guess that the disk in the probleme iMac is in working order
  12. I also guess that the screen (video card) on the probleme iMacis in working order due to the fact, that I can see the Apple start logo and the progressbar. As well as the Apple Hardware Test ran via the intrenet (no video error)

Anny surgestions on what to do? Is my iMac dead?

The very best regards Dan

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Jan 22, 2016 8:21 AM

31 replies

Jan 22, 2016 10:31 PM in response to rkaufmann87

We have no Apple Store in Denmark, but I have talked to Apple Support via the phone here in DK, and they told me that my iMac is more than 4 years old! And that there replacement programe only was running for 4 years from purecase! So Apple will NOT helpe me at all! If I send my iMac to any repair shop, I'll have to pay for the repair and any parts my self!

Jan 23, 2016 1:02 AM in response to Dan Plesner Henriksen

If it stops halfway the grey progress bar, it means it could be that the disk is having problems or is dead. The firmware is probably OK, because at that point the OS wants to start up and does so by accessing the disk.

In your list (#2) you said that you started in Single User mode and did the fsck -fy command:

what happened did it complete the test, or did it hang also? If it did complete the test, did it end with OK? If not did you do the command again and again until it ended with OK?

Jan 23, 2016 1:32 AM in response to Lexiepex

The progressbar run to its end, and then the screen flicker once, and turns gray and stops. The fsck command runs to the end. Typical it says that the disk vas fixet, then I run fsck agin with on errors. Then I type "exit" and I see the load progress finishing op, when over, the screen agin flickers once and turns gray and stops. I dont think the disk is the probleme, due to the fakt that I can boot from the disk in disk target mode via a FireWire cable connected to my other iMac

Jan 23, 2016 1:44 AM in response to Dan Plesner Henriksen

OK, this means that the graphics card is more suspect than the disk. I follow the advice of r.kaufmann.

Ask the apple service center what the cost is to repair that. If it is not too expensive you can send the iMac in to have it assessed. When the cost projection is not too high you can go ahead. A logic board is about 1000€, thus the graphics card should be below that, maybe around 500€.

Note: I think for Denmark the service and help is done in Germany. You should ask when you cal the Danish phone number.

Jan 23, 2016 1:35 PM in response to Dan Plesner Henriksen

What your describing sounds like an issue with an OSX update altering some of the video drivers in your iMac. When you booted in single user or safe mode did you get the text details showing the boot process? Any mention of an issue with video drivers? My understanding is that for 2010 (my imac) and 2011 (your imac) the install disc included specific drivers for the video card and if you do a reinstall from a stock image those drivers will not be included.

When you mentioned the different things you did you did not mention if you did them together.

Do you have an external monitor connected or anything to the thunderbolt port and no external hard disc or usb drives attached? When you boot into safe mode or single user you need to remove all external devices (including external video displays) except keyboard and mouse. So disconnect these devices and reboot in in internet recovery by holding <Command R> before the tri-tone. Keep holding until the apple logo appears and goes away then release. Then wait. Until the mac downloads recovery information for your iMac (expect 10-15 or so minutes) Once that finishes you should get to the apple recovery and be able to reinstall OSX. If that fails then attempt to rebott in single user mode again with just mouse the keyboard attached. Look at the responses as the mac boots up or are you not seeing anything at all?

If you are not seeing anything at all you may have corrupted EFI firmware.

Jan 23, 2016 2:12 PM in response to Dan Plesner Henriksen

I have a 27" iMac purchased in May 2011 with the EXACT SAME ISSUE.

When I try to boot I get the Apple Logo and a progress bar that advances about 50% then the logo and progress bar dissapears and the blank screen is gray.

I've tried booting in safe mode and also have tried to run Apple hardware test - same results.

I suspect this is an issue related to recent OS upgrades but really have no clue.

Jan 23, 2016 2:31 PM in response to Lexiepex

THANK YOU!!! That did it!! IF I could kiss you I would!! 🙂

Have you had any dealings with the program by "Lyve"? Seemed like an awesome solution for putting all my photos in one place but this just happened to my Mac and I've had problems with my new laptop with Windows 10. Of course Lyve says it is NOT THEIR FAULT. Just curious if anyone else has had problems??? 😕

Thank you AGAIN!!!

iMac mid 2011, gray screen of death!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.