Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro A1278 will not power on. New battery & logic board

hello, and thank you for taking the time to look at this post. I have a macbook pro a1278 model that will not power on unless i follow these steps below. i have replaced it with a new battery and also a "refurbished logic board". Same symptoms with both boards and batteries.

I am however able to power it on by following these steps:

1. unplug the battery and just power on via charger. (which works but it will not reboot after that and we would like to be cordless)

2. will power down, then plug battery in. still no power (battery is full at 100%)

3. if i attach the charger the unit will power on (with the battery attached). as soon as i power down and then try to power it back up it will not power on unless i repeat steps 1-3 over again.

Again, thank you to whomever takes a look at this post i really appreciate it. Any advice is welcomed. i'm assuming at this point it's some connector but as far as i can tell they look fine and everything is functional until it comes down to powering off and back on.

THANK YOU.

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), power and hardware replacement

Posted on Jan 22, 2016 12:55 PM

11 replies

Jan 22, 2016 1:23 PM in response to vincentleal1993

i have replaced it with a new battery and also a "refurbished logic board"

If you did the repairs yourself, make sure you did them properly. Go over each step.

If an Apple tech did the repairs, I would not do any troubleshooting period!!! Apple has a 90 day warranty on all repairs in or out of warranty. Take the computer back to the repair shop.

User uploaded file

Jan 22, 2016 1:23 PM in response to vincentleal1993

i have replaced it with a new battery and also a "refurbished logic board"

If you did the repairs yourself, make sure you did them properly. Go over each step.

If an Apple tech did the repairs, I would not do any troubleshooting period!!! Apple has a 90 day warranty on all repairs in or out of warranty. Take the computer back to the repair shop.

User uploaded file

Jan 22, 2016 1:51 PM in response to CMCSK

i'm going to bump this later on. the only slightly helpful solution was doing the resets. if it's a power issue a hardware test isn't going to pick up a bad connector or something of that sort (IT IS FULLY FUNCTIONAL ONCE I'VE REPEATED STEPS 1-3). i've given you guys the EXACT model of the logic board itself, call it google-fu if you will.

already paid $300+ on a motherboard, i'm not going to take it to someone else for another repair fee when i have all the tools and resources in front of me. i'm just stuck. please do not reply unless you have an actual helpful solution to my situation.

Macbook Pro A1278 will not power on. New battery & logic board

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.