Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Merging Contacts

I have contacts on my phone that won't merge onto my macbook or iCloud even after syncing through iCloud on my phone.

I have a 5s with the latest iOS.

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on Jan 22, 2016 12:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2016 12:57 PM

Just to be sure, your post says iOS 7.1.1 and the latest update came in some time yesterday at 9.2.1, what iOS does your phone show? Also which OS does your MacBook have?

iOS: Settings > General > About > Version

Mac OS X: Apple > About This Mac

Have your contacts ever synced between devices?

One of the easiest steps you can take to troubleshoot this is simply make sure all of your devices are using the same Apple ID. If for some reason you have more than one Apple ID, they will not sync unless the Apple IDs are the same.

iOS: Settings > iCloud

Mac OS X: System Preferences > iCloud

Also make sure that all devices have Contacts enabled in the iCloud settings.

You can always check www.icloud.com to see which contacts are syncing, if any. So if you see all of your contacts from your iPhone, but none from your computer, then we can troubleshoot the computer.

We need to make sure all of your devices are compatible with iCloud and it's syncing abilities.

Lastly, this article can really help out when making sure everything is set up correctly

Get help using iCloud Contacts - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2016 12:57 PM in response to prh218

Just to be sure, your post says iOS 7.1.1 and the latest update came in some time yesterday at 9.2.1, what iOS does your phone show? Also which OS does your MacBook have?

iOS: Settings > General > About > Version

Mac OS X: Apple > About This Mac

Have your contacts ever synced between devices?

One of the easiest steps you can take to troubleshoot this is simply make sure all of your devices are using the same Apple ID. If for some reason you have more than one Apple ID, they will not sync unless the Apple IDs are the same.

iOS: Settings > iCloud

Mac OS X: System Preferences > iCloud

Also make sure that all devices have Contacts enabled in the iCloud settings.

You can always check www.icloud.com to see which contacts are syncing, if any. So if you see all of your contacts from your iPhone, but none from your computer, then we can troubleshoot the computer.

We need to make sure all of your devices are compatible with iCloud and it's syncing abilities.

Lastly, this article can really help out when making sure everything is set up correctly

Get help using iCloud Contacts - Apple Support

Feb 5, 2016 8:37 AM in response to Pmintz25

I just wanted to say thanks. This was a big help. I am updated on all my OS, but I don't remember it giving me any other options that were close when I was trying to post. Regardless, all of your suggestions helped immensely! Thank you!!!

Is there a way to send Group texts that don't also send them to emails? Or do I have to create a new contact for each person with only the information that I want on it to accomplish that?

Feb 5, 2016 9:34 AM in response to prh218

You should add emails and phone numbers for the same person to the same contact. There should not be two contacts for the same person.

If you have a phone number and email for the person, it should automatically send the text to the phone number. It will only send by email if it can't send by phone number, or if there isn't a phone number to send to.

I think the most common issue is having two or more contacts for the same person. If you know someone with 2 phone numbers and 3 email addresses, add them all to the same contact instead of having multiples.

Merging Contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.