Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Old Mac G5 does not shut down.

Hello guys! So I have a Power PC Mac G5, it means really old, I do have this machine about 10, 11 years, at least and never it gives me any problem, just some times the fan starts to run while I'm use it, but just once in a while. Okay, so now it doesn't shut down and take a several times for it, but it won't, for sure. I'm getting upset because of it and I get starting so nervous about this, so I have a lot of stuffs in there, movies, songs, pics, documents and whatever on it, but I have to buy the external hd, okay so forget about the external hd. I'm here to ask to solve this problem. Please, do you guys have any idea to solve it, shut down the machine, get it back to normal, this is happening because I was checking out a headphone with bluetooth, that's why this is happening. Please, do you guys have any idea to solve this problem, to shut down normally and get back the machine to normal again, I have important documents on it. I just wanna say something: Okay, some people said to me that I need to have the discs to reinstall the same version of it, but I do not have them, but like I said, my system is Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard e doesn't shut down for sure, but still working. So, if I do a backup with Time Machine using External HD? What do you guys think about it?

Thanks a lot!

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5), Leopard

Posted on Jan 22, 2016 4:20 PM

1 reply

Jan 25, 2016 6:19 AM in response to Kaiosama

Without the original discs, you'll be hard pressed to use Time Machine for a restore, since it doesn't make for a bootable backup. Clone it with an older version of Superduper or Carbon Copy Cloner. Time Machine is good for archival backups, when you have the original discs, or you are using an operating system with internet restore (only available on Macs new July 20, 2011 and later, and earlier on some Intel Macs with a specific firmware). A Clone can restore a Time Machine backup, but I recommend at least two backups to be on the safe side in case there is something wrong with the first drive.

Having the Leopard discs is going to be hard to find, as they must be the retail Leopard discs when it comes to G5s. And Leopard is the first one to offer Time Machine restore.

My Old Mac G5 does not shut down.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.