Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After importing Garage Band for iOS song, .CAF files missing.

Are these .caf files suppose to be on the Mac version of Garageband? I would think they would be unless it is a sound that has to be manually tweaked in Garage Band for Mac. Anybody know? The song sounds great, but when I import from iCloud, i get this message.....

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Posted on Jan 22, 2016 5:17 PM

11 replies

Jan 22, 2016 8:01 PM in response to turingtest2

Yes, about three times. It downloaded more content so it said but it still came up with the same message.. I am going to do a restart and pr ram zap. I did searches for the files that are mentioned. What I don't understand is if Apple gave you these great live loops on iOS and let you upload then download to Garage band on Mac, why wouldn't they give you the same sounds on the Mac side. Am I doing something wrong?

Is anyone else having the same problem?

So to be specific

I create a song using live loops. Save it to iCloud through the app

Open GB on my Mac and go to File> icloud> Import GarageBand for iOS song

When I do, it list all of the .caf I am missing

Then it ask if I want to download additional content, but after that they still aren't installed..

Jan 23, 2016 11:53 PM in response to turingtest2

I Did like two times Did nothing but redox load what I already had. It would appear the Apple has given us some nice new CAF files but only included them with iOS as of yet. So when you import your project, all of those loops are missing. But I found the workaround!!!!!

Download the iOS GarageBand in iTunes. Once downloaded, do a search for garageband.ipa The .ipa is the iOS version... Locate it and then right click on it. In the open with menu you should see a green "archive utility". Click there. It will extract a garageband folder. Inside the folder are all of the original missing .CAF files for your songs. Next you will need to put them into the Logic folder on your mac. Do another search for. CAF. You will be led to the area where you will include you new .CAF files. There should be some folders in that area called House, Hip Hop, etc. Rather than try to index them myself, I just created a new folder called iOS and put all of the CAF files I extracted from the iOS version. Then I placed them in the same directory where the others are located in Logic on my Mac. I started GB and low and behold, it worked!!! I got every sound that was missing. The only message I got was that an FX extension was missing. I found the FX extension also in the iOS extracted folder. The problem is I don't know where to put it yet. I will figure it out though.

Good luck to everyone wanting to do this. Read my directions carefully...

I really can't understand why Apple would come out with such an awesome update, give us the ability to import to Mac, but not give us the new sound files on tat end. Kind of weird. Apple is really cool, but somebody dropped the ball on this one....

Oh!!! I forgot to mention that once you extract that iOS GB folder you need to go to >Payload> MobileGarageband>Right click> Show package contents. There are all the goodies!! Enjoy!!

Feb 11, 2016 6:20 AM in response to kjosey5

@ mprenfor...THANKS!!!

I've been going crazy trying to figure this out over the past few days. Literally have been on the phone with tech support for around 2 hours and wasted a ton of time trying to fix this. Unfortunately, both regular tech and senior tech did not know how to fix this. I cannot wait to go home and try this fix. Shame on Apple to release the apps and state they are fully compatible when they are far from it at this point. No reason the download of additional content shouldn't fix this. Shame on me for finding an affinity to finish my GarageBand songs from iOS on OS X rather than spending my usual time in Ableton.

Either way, I cannot thank you enough for posting this!

--Steve

After importing Garage Band for iOS song, .CAF files missing.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.