Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mainstage 3.2.3 crash with channel strip load

My computer decided to update Mainstage to 3.2.3 last night (from 3.2.2 I think). Since then, when I attempt to open one of my concerts, the program closes. I seem to still be able to load other concerts, as well as create new concerts from templates. However, when inside these concerts, if I add a new instrument channel strip to a patch and choose a preset, the program closes. If I add a new instrument channel strip to a patch and try to load an instrument, the program closes.

I reinstalled Mainstage, but nothing changed.

Has anyone else had a similar issue since the 3.2.3 update, or have any remedy for the crashes? Mainstage is altogether un-useable for me at this point.

Thanks!

My machine is:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2013), 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, OSX 10.11.3

Crash report (created by attempting to load concert):

http://pastebin.com/c03cTxvi

In case this is enough info for diagnosis:

Crashed Thread: 7 MTStream+MTThreadStage LIVE Processing: 1

MainStage, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Jan 22, 2016 9:17 PM

13 replies

Jan 23, 2016 2:53 AM in response to CCTM

Thanks for the reply - here's one way I can reliably make it crash:

Launch Mainstage (I have it set to do nothing at launch)

File - New... Keyboard Minimalist template

Add new patch

Add new channel strip (Number: 1; Type: Instrument; Midi Input: Nanokey 2; Output: Output 1)

In the channel strip inspector: Channel strip library, click "Bass" folder, then "Liverpool Bass"

*Crashes immediately*

Crashed Thread: 5 MTStream+MTThreadStage LIVE Processing: 1

I've tried with other midi inputs, with or without my external sound card, and several instrument presets. I've also tried uninstalling my Nektar Panorama software. No changes so far. I wish there was a way to temporarily revert to 3.2.2 to rule out the possibility of a bug from my end. Whatever is going on, it doesn't really feel obscure enough to to actually be a software bug - probably something local. That said, I'm fresh out of ideas.

Thanks again!

Jan 23, 2016 3:03 AM in response to HarmaJames

Hi

HarmaJames wrote:

Thanks for the reply - here's one way I can reliably make it crash:

Launch Mainstage (I have it set to do nothing at launch)

File - New... Keyboard Minimalist template

Add new patch

Add new channel strip (Number: 1; Type: Instrument; Midi Input: Nanokey 2; Output: Output 1)

In the channel strip inspector: Channel strip library, click "Bass" folder, then "Liverpool Bass"

*Crashes immediately*

Crashed Thread: 5 MTStream+MTThreadStage LIVE Processing: 1

Confirmed.... instant crash

HarmaJames wrote:

I wish there was a way to temporarily revert to 3.2.2 to rule out the possibility of a bug from my end. Whatever is going on, it doesn't really feel obscure enough to to actually be a software bug - probably something local. That said, I'm fresh out of ideas.

There is: you have to a) rename the old version and compress it BEFORE you do the update. Rename the new updated one, un-zip the old one.

( Too late now unless you have a backup).

CCT

Jan 23, 2016 4:22 AM in response to CCTM

On the one hand, glad it's not just me. On the other, I wish there was a quick fix. Would there be a work-around method to open a concert which has stereo instruments on mono channels? I'm not terribly in the mood to rebuild this concert from scratch.

Do the dev's check this forum, or is there a way to report bugs directly?

Feb 3, 2016 12:47 PM in response to HarmaJames

HarmaJames wrote:

On the one hand, glad it's not just me. On the other, I wish there was a quick fix. Would there be a work-around method to open a concert which has stereo instruments on mono channels? I'm not terribly in the mood to rebuild this concert from scratch.

Do the dev's check this forum, or is there a way to report bugs directly?

You can send feedback directly to Apple via the MainStage menu dropdown. They definitely check this feedback because I've been contacted twice over the past few years to follow up on specifics. There's a high probability you won't be contacted but rest assured that your feedback is read and analyzed.

Feb 4, 2016 1:00 AM in response to jburns989592

Sorry, I gave up on 3.2.3. Initially I started working around the crashing issue by creating a new concert and making sure to not attempt loading stereo instruments to mono channels. I found that I could dive into the sub-structure of my old concert and drag/drop my old channel strip settings onto new stereo channels in the new concert, so I thought I was OK for a while. Then I figured out that the smart knobs on my Nektar P6 weren't working any more and gave up on it. I called Apple about the issue and they were utterly useless - they couldn't even send me an installer for 3.2.2 to help me roll back. I figured out how to file a bug report and turn off automatic software updates and left it at that. I'm still pretty choked about the situation - Mainstage is used by huge artists (NIN), which is why I figured it would be safe to start getting used to a soft synth rig. Granted, big acts using this product are probably cleverer about managing updates than me, but I was genuinely surprised to find a bug that made it impossible to open a concert that I had been using the day before the update.

Feb 4, 2016 1:06 AM in response to HarmaJames

I'm feeling your pain. I use MainStage on a MacBook Pro with 2 partitions and one of these is my "gig" partition....nothing is updated on this partition until everything as been thoroughly tested on my "everyday" partition first. I'm actually still running v3.1.1 on my gig partition because it's so rock-solid. I also never update MS until I've copied/renamed the existing version AND backed it up to an external drive. Needless to say, automatic updates are turned off!

Mainstage 3.2.3 crash with channel strip load

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.