Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPort Extreme and virgin super hub

Hi

I have a new vm super hub which I set up in modem only mode and then using my 2nd generation AirPort Extreme as the wireless router. Is there any reason why I should see lower broadband speeds set up like this vs. just using the super hub in full router mode. I get very fast BB with just the hub acting as the wireless router but this drops by half or sometimes even more with my extreme Set up. The problem is the hub has terrible wireless signal strength? I wondered if it's because of my 2nd generation extreme? Or maybe a setting that is incorrect.

appreciate any advice.

Thanks

PHil

Posted on Jan 23, 2016 1:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2016 7:49 AM

A 2nd Generation AirPort Extreme is at least 7 years old and as much as almost 9 depending on when you purchased the product. On average, the useful life of a wireless router designed for home use is....on average....about 5 years.

You could reset the AirPort Extreme back to factory default settings and then set ip all over again, but frankly, I doubt that this will result in any significant improvement. Let us know on your results if you decide to try that.

If you decide to try a new AirPort router, Apple does offer a 14 day return privilege, so if the a new product does not perform the way that you want, you can return it for exchange or refund.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2016 7:49 AM in response to MrJax

A 2nd Generation AirPort Extreme is at least 7 years old and as much as almost 9 depending on when you purchased the product. On average, the useful life of a wireless router designed for home use is....on average....about 5 years.

You could reset the AirPort Extreme back to factory default settings and then set ip all over again, but frankly, I doubt that this will result in any significant improvement. Let us know on your results if you decide to try that.

If you decide to try a new AirPort router, Apple does offer a 14 day return privilege, so if the a new product does not perform the way that you want, you can return it for exchange or refund.

Jan 23, 2016 12:01 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks for the reply. I knew it was old but didn't appreciate they have a shelf life. Since my post I thought it might have been the ethernet cable I was using between the modem and the extreme, since this is even older. I tried it with a Cat 6 cable and didn't see much improvement in wireless BB speed. I also tried a wired connection from the extreme to my laptop and this got about 125MB/sec. I think an upgrade in wireless router might be in order.

Thanks

AirPort Extreme and virgin super hub

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.