📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Learn about all the features, apps, and settings of your iPhone

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it safe to download IPSW files from other websites ?

Is it okay to use IPSW files downloaded from websites for example ( ipsw.me ) and then use these ipsw files to update / restore my Apple devices?

After restoring, my whole device will be wiped clean as though it is new until I restore my old files in , is that correct?

And if I only update my device with the IPSW files, no data will be lost , correct?

Thanks .

iPhone 6, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Jan 22, 2016 11:39 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2016 12:17 AM

Is there a way to download these files directly from apple then?

6 replies

Jan 23, 2016 8:23 PM in response to curiousswitcher

Well, Apple never supports downgrade (except that a wrong file was released).

The reason is security, plain and simple.

A snippet from the White Paper:

System Software Authorization

Apple regularly releases software updates to address emerging security concerns and also provide new features; these updates are typically provided for all supported devices simultaneously. Users receive iOS update noti cations on the device and through iTunes, and updates are delivered wirelessly, encouraging rapid adoption of the latest security xes.

The startup process described above helps ensure that only Apple-signed code
can be installed on a device. To prevent devices from being downgraded to older versions that lack the latest security updates, iOS uses a process called System Software Authorization. If downgrades were possible, an attacker who gains possession of a
device could install an older version of iOS and exploit a vulnerability that’s been xed in the newer version.

Is it safe to download IPSW files from other websites ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.