Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting up a new iMac 27" 3.5GHz (late 2014)

My current iMac is a 21.5" 2.7GHz (late 2012) and 'new' machine is as above. Can I set up the new machine using the thunderbolt ports on bith machines? If so, what kind of cable do I need?

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), 3.5GHz with 1TB Fusion drive

Posted on Jan 23, 2016 9:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2016 6:52 AM

Yes, and you need a Thunderbolt cable to connect the two. You can use Migration Assistant to transfer files from the old to the new or you can do it manually.

You would use Target Disk Mode for the transferring. See: How to use Migration Assistant to transfer files from another Mac or once the old is in TDM you can access it on the Desktop like any other Hard Disk Drive.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2016 6:52 AM in response to Old_David

Yes, and you need a Thunderbolt cable to connect the two. You can use Migration Assistant to transfer files from the old to the new or you can do it manually.

You would use Target Disk Mode for the transferring. See: How to use Migration Assistant to transfer files from another Mac or once the old is in TDM you can access it on the Desktop like any other Hard Disk Drive.

Setting up a new iMac 27" 3.5GHz (late 2014)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.