Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari webloc icons changed: Error code -10823

This morning, when I turned on my Mac, I have noticed that all my Safari webloc icons have turned into a different one (big @ sign and HTTP in the icon). When I right click on the icon it says their default app is "Simulator.app (9.2)". By tradition, Simulator.app is part of Xcode. However, I neither updated or used Xcode or any app that is part of Xcode in the past (about) 2 weeks.

So, ok, let's change the default app associated with 'webloc' icons to Safari. Right click. Set default app to Safari. I get the folllowing error: "The item is either locked or damaged, or in a folder you don’t have permission to modify (error code -10823)."

After dismissing the dialog, I get another dialog saying: "The operation can’t be completed. An unexpected error occurred (error code -10823)."

I reboot into Safe Mode. Same issue. I cannot find anything not only on error code -10823, but on why an earth would I get this message that the item is locked or damaged.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Mac mini late 2012

El Crap 10.11.3

Mac mini, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Jan 23, 2016 11:17 AM

7 replies

Jan 23, 2016 12:47 PM in response to Pentool

Although the problem is not the same, please follow the instructions in this support article to reset the Launch Services database. Instead of typing the shell command directed in the article, I suggest that you copy and paste it from the web page into the Terminal window. Make sure you select the whole line. One way to do that is by triple-clicking anywhere in the line.

If you don't already have a current backup, back up all data before proceeding. You may have to log out or restart to see a change.

Jan 23, 2016 1:30 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks, but this did not help.

I've already run Onyx to reset and clear various this and that. Reboot. Didn't help. Uninstalled Xcode and all its various settings/dev folders, etc. Reboot. Didn't help.

This is just SO disturbing! I just did a clean install of my system on December 21st with El Crap 10.11.2 exactly for the same reason as now. About a week or so (whenever it came out) I updated to El Crap 10.11.3. And now I can do a clean install AGAIN because of some random glitch happens in the OS and there's no way to fix it or find a solution. ARRGGGGHHHHH!

Jan 23, 2016 1:53 PM in response to Pentool

This procedure will delete some cache files. The files are automatically generated and don't contain any of your data. Occasionally they can become corrupt and cause problems such as yours.

Please back up all data.

Triple-click anywhere in the line of text below on this page to select it:

open $TMPDIR..

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

Launch the built-in Terminal application in any one of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

Paste into the Terminal window by pressing command-V. Depending on which web browser you use, you may have to press the return key. A folder with a long, random name should open. Inside it, there should be a subfolder named "C". Drag that to the Trash.

Log out or restart the computer. Empty the Trash. Test.

Sep 6, 2016 2:16 AM in response to Pentool

Nearly 7 months later, I run into this issue again. This time I am running OS X 10.11.6 (as opposed to 10.11.3, when I originally posted).

Unfortunately this procedure does not solve the problem any longer.

(As a side note, I've reported this bug back in January. Apple has closed this bug saying this is a duplicate of another bug report by someone. There has been 3 minor version releases since January 2016 and this bug is still there. NICE!)

Sep 6, 2016 6:42 PM in response to Pentool

I'm having this problem too; just started the other day on my 2015 12in MacBook running 10.11.6. I too used Onyx to clean this and that, I also used Clean My Mac to repair disk permissions. Lastly I tried typing open $TMPDIR.. into the command line and deleted the subfolder "c" as mentioned by Linc Davis. None of these have worked. I still receive the error code -10823. Any help anyone can provide would be most greatly appreciated.

Dec 15, 2016 6:12 AM in response to Pentool

I know this is an old post, but I had this same problem today and this is the post that shows up when you google error 10823. I finally found a solution.

You have to change the default web browser in System Preferences. It's under General, about the middle of the page. If your default browser is set to Safari, it will not let you change how the file opens in the Get Info section, and you will get the 10823 error.

Safari webloc icons changed: Error code -10823

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.