Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Weekly iPhone6 restore due to 8+ GB of "Other"

I have an iPhone 6 Plus 16GB which is basically useless because I need to restore it every week in order to free up space occupied by "Other".

I have tried everything, reboot, restore, it all works very temporarily, even after a complete "fresh" install running a barebone setup with hardly any apps. it just fills up and asks me to free up space, but there is nothing taking up any space!

This can't be right!

Is there anyone with a solution other than restoring the iPhone (bi-)weekly?

Hope there is!

User uploaded file

Posted on Jan 23, 2016 12:53 PM

10 replies

Feb 7, 2016 5:36 AM in response to Fred Hasselman

OK so I did a completely new install and some days ago iPhone was full again With 8-9 GB of "other"

some (random) observations:

• MAIL starts behaving badly (keeps downloading new messages over and over) eventually just crashes
  • When I turn airplane mode on and off, it stays in airplane mode untill I reset
  • ITunes won't sync with message: there is not enough space available
  • Removing apps creates space very temporarily: is filled up to 11.5 GB almost immediately. At one point there were no apps to remove anymore.

Feb 7, 2016 11:16 AM in response to Fred Hasselman

When you did this "new" install, how did your data back on the device? You indicate problems with Mail, the iTunes message is probably related to the "Other" problem, then you talk about removing apps. How did you get them on to the device after this new install? When you put apps back on the phone, did you do this using your backup, or syncing them individually from iTunes, or some other method?

Did you test the device for a period of time after restoring to factory? Did anything appear on the phone mysteriously?

Feb 8, 2016 11:04 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thanks,

I forgot to clarify the re-occurrence of non iOS apps.

This was due to logging into my iCloud account and the default iOS settings are to install Apps, iBooks, Music and Updates.

When I found out, I changed the settings and deleted the apps.

So I cannot be sure the problem is one of the auto-installed apps.

I will try a factory reset and skip setting up iCloud.

Mar 4, 2016 11:55 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Since the last post I have completely the iPhone three times:

- I am not recovering any backups, not auto-installing apps, not using iCloud photos, but I am using my iCloud account, I indicate in iTunes to setup as a new iPhone

>> at first everything seems fine:

User uploaded file

The picture is from the latest reset, the weird thing was:

- At some point iTunes indicated the iPhone needed an iOS update, but it was already up to date with the latest version, this was after a cabled sync which I do not usually do. Still, iTunes performed the update.

- Syncing with iTunes is now again impossible due to the overcapacity

User uploaded file

Mar 4, 2016 12:01 PM in response to Fred Hasselman

I cannot understand what the issue may be. If you have an Apple Store close by, I would make an appointment. There is something corrupt somewhere which is making this happen.

Do you have Whatsapp installed on your device? It has been reported that it is causing a number of issues for users, and that it should be deleted until they release a fix. If this is the case, then archive your chat messages through the app, and then delete the app. After that, do a reset on your device by holding the sleep/wake and home buttons together until you see the Apple logo and then release. The phone should reboot. This should restore your free space, if this in fact applies to you.

Weekly iPhone6 restore due to 8+ GB of "Other"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.