Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need to connect ipod nano to my new mac but it was synced with my old windows computer. How do I do this?

I am trying to connect my iPod nano to my Mac (Yosemite - iTunes 12.3). iTunes does not recognize the iPod at all. It was previously synced with my old windows computer on iTunes. Is there any way to sync it and retrieve the music on it?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Jan 23, 2016 12:39 PM

1 reply

Jan 23, 2016 6:08 PM in response to debbiefromspring

Does the iPod currently turn ON and work as an iPod (when not connected to computer)?

iTunes on a Mac should recognized an iPod that is formatted for Windows. When you connect it, watch the iPod's screen. Does it say "Do not disconnect" or "Connected" or some other indication that there is a connection? Does it only show the battery charging indicator? Or does it not react at all to being connected?

The first step is getting the iPod recognized on the Mac. After that, you can off-load songs from it, IF you don't have access to the iTunes library directly from the old Windows PC (which is a much better way to transfer your complete iTunes library data to the Mac), or if you don't have a backup. An iPod is not designed to be your iTunes data backup. So, if you still have your old Windows PC with its iTunes library intact, use it instead of your iPod to get your iTunes library on your Mac. Please post back with the details.

Need to connect ipod nano to my new mac but it was synced with my old windows computer. How do I do this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.