Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac G5 (May 2005) with no OS installed; have original discs.

An elderly relative somehow wiped her iMac G5 20" completely. She has the original OS discs that came with the computer. I want to reinstall the OS for her from the original discs but can't figure out how to do this. When I turn the machine on it beeps a few times, screen remains black (of course, with no OS). The DVD install disc (1 of 2) doesn't stay in the slot. I just have no idea how to reinstall. What am I missing and what is the procedure in a situation like this?

Posted on Jan 23, 2016 5:31 PM

6 replies

Jan 23, 2016 9:05 PM in response to JOS

There may be something else wrong with the iMac. When you turn it ON, if there is no system, it will not start up. BUT, the screen should come ON (not remain black) and display some indication that there is no system found.

Before attempting anything else, try doing the Reset SMU (power management) procedure. For most desktop Macs, unplugging the Mac for a few minutes, then reconnecting to power should do that, but this article has more details (I could not find the Apple document on the topic)

http://www.ehow.com/how_2091889_reset-smu-imac-g5.html

Not starting up can also be caused the PRAM battery becoming weak or dead.

It is likely that that your elderly relative's data is still safely stored on the internal drive, if the cause of iMac not starting up is something else. If the iMac remains non-functional, you should be able to remove the internal drive, place it in an appropriate external drive case, and retrieve the data (to restore on a new Mac).

Jan 23, 2016 9:05 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Thank you for the hints. After resetting the SMU I started the iMac up and got no beeps, but still the black screen. This iMac has been used very little except for email, but it's old and I guess it could be the PRAM battery or something else. I will try your other suggestion. I"m now afraid there are other issues.

Jan 26, 2016 5:17 PM in response to JOS

When you push the power button on iMac, do you hear the iMac starting up, like the sound of hard drive spinning up and fans? The screen is just not coming on... OR, is the iMac completely dead (not reaction to pushing power button)?

This web site has repair guides for iMac G5 (including replacement of PRAM battery).

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/iMac_G5

The older iMac G5 design (without built-in iSight camera) has a back panel that comes off easily, making access to PRAM battery fairly simple. The part is a common inexpensive battery, like this one at OWC

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/CR2032/

Jan 24, 2016 1:20 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Trying to start up the second time I reset the SMU, I got the startup chime for the first time. There followed a message to restart. I did, but nothing. Black screen again. I also tried starting up from the install DVD, but got nothing but the black screen. Had to eject the DVD by holding down the mouse button on the next startup.

iMac G5 (May 2005) with no OS installed; have original discs.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.