Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get new iOS GB loops into your Mac

I had wondered why the new GB for iOS awesome new loops were not available after importing to mac via iCloud. You would think that those sounds would also be available on the Mac end, but they were not. So, when you import your song you get a message like this....

User uploaded file

Then when you press continue you get this message....

User uploaded file

So, you download right? But after waiting for the download you realize those sounds don't get put on your Mac. At least for me they didn't. So if you want the workaround and some great new loops, here is what you do..

Download the iOS GarageBand in iTunes. Once downloaded, do a search for garageband.ipa The .ipa is the iOS version... Locate it and then right click on it. In the open with menu you should see a green "archive utility". Click there. It will extract a garageband folder. Inside the folder are all of the original missing .CAF files for your songs. Next you will need to put them into the Logic folder on your mac. Do another search for. CAF. You will be led to the area where you will include you new .CAF files. There should be some folders in that area called House, Hip Hop, etc. Rather than try to index them myself, I just created a new folder called iOS and put all of the CAF files I extracted from the iOS version. Then I placed them in the same directory where the others are located in Logic on my Mac. I started GB and low and behold, it worked!!! I got every sound that was missing. The only message I got was that an FX extension was missing. I found the FX extension also in the iOS extracted folder. The problem is I don't know where to put it yet. I will figure it out though.

Good luck to everyone wanting to do this. Read my directions carefully...

I really can't understand why Apple would come out with such an awesome update, give us the ability to import to Mac, but not give us the new sound files on tat end. Kind of weird. Apple is really cool, but somebody dropped the ball on this one....

Oh!!! I forgot to mention that once you extract that iOS GB folder you need to go to >Payload> MobileGarageband>Right click> Show package contents. There are all the goodies!! Enjoy!!

Posted on Jan 24, 2016 12:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2017 8:22 AM

If you're running the current version of iTunes (12.7.1 at the time of posting) then download 12.6.3 from links in the article Deploy apps in a business environment with iTunes - Apple Support, see Open a different iTunes Library file or create a new one - Apple Support to make a new empty library into which you can Redownload app purchases, music, movies, TV shows, and books from the iTunes Store, iBooks Store, and App Store - Apple Support and download the app, then reinstall the current version of iTunes and reconnect to your original library.

tt2

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2017 8:22 AM in response to HardyMac55

If you're running the current version of iTunes (12.7.1 at the time of posting) then download 12.6.3 from links in the article Deploy apps in a business environment with iTunes - Apple Support, see Open a different iTunes Library file or create a new one - Apple Support to make a new empty library into which you can Redownload app purchases, music, movies, TV shows, and books from the iTunes Store, iBooks Store, and App Store - Apple Support and download the app, then reinstall the current version of iTunes and reconnect to your original library.

tt2

Jan 24, 2016 1:49 AM in response to mprenfro

That works like a charm. Thank you for posting this. 🙂

I download all AppStore purchases to my mac anyway, so GarageBand 2.1 was already in my iTunes folder with Mobile applications:

~/Music//iTunes/iTunes Music/Mobile Applications/GarageBand 2.1/

I had to search for GarageBand 2.1.ipa, not GarageBand.ipa.

Inside the GarageBand application bundle is the path to the loops:

GarageBand 2.1/Payload/MobileGarageBand.app/Library.bundle/Audio/Apple Loops/, for example

GarageBand 2.1/Payload/MobileGarageBand.app/Library.bundle/Audio/Apple Loops/Abstract Atmosphere 015.caf

While you are about it, you could also try to extract some of the sampler instruments, the Instrument Library is here.

i have been looking there earlier, because GarageBand 10.1 did not find the instruments from the new Music Memo.app:

The sampler files and sampler instruments are here:

/GarageBand 2.1/Payload/MobileGarageBand.app/Library.bundle/Application Support/Instrument Library/Sampler/

i found the missing /GarageBand 2.1/Payload/MobileGarageBand.app/Library.bundle/Application Support/Instrument Library/Sampler/Sampler Instruments/P-Bass iOS small.exs

Jan 24, 2016 11:54 PM in response to léonie

Happy I could get that info out. Thank you as well for your information. Really wondering why Apple did not release these on the Mac if they included them with the new iOS GB version. Kind of makes no sense. They tell you you can export the song by uploading to iCloud and handing it off to the Mac, but when you start the app or load the song you made on iOS, you get blasted with the messages above..... Anyway, great we could get a workaround and maybe help out other with the same issue. I am also surprised to see only a few people comment on this. I am pretty sure I downloaded all of the extra loops and sounds and there were none of the above unless I am missing something..

Hey! Do you have any ideas on this? I get one more message saying that I am missing a plug in. I could not find it. I found something with a similar name, but I did not know where to put it. Logic folder? GB?

Any ideas??

User uploaded file

Jan 25, 2016 4:59 AM in response to mprenfro

I'm not sure at all, if the plug-ins are compatible between GarageBand iOS and GarageBand for Mac.

But try to copy the folder

..../GarageBand 2.1/Payload/MobileGarageBand.app/Library.bundle/Application Support/Instrument Library/Plug-In Settings/RemixFX

to the corresponding library in

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/Plug-In Settings/

Jan 28, 2016 9:59 PM in response to léonie

Leonie,

Thank you for the suggestion. It did not work though. I think you were referring to the folder FX Remix. It had no content so it was not a plug in. What I think happens is when you mix down a song in iOS GB it creates a plugin. What I did was just chose a different effect-plugin for the mix, which is the last track on the Mac side. It worked just fine... Still get the annoying message overtime I open that one song, but for now I can live with it.

Feb 18, 2016 8:00 AM in response to léonie

I had to search for GarageBand 2.1.ipa, not GarageBand.ipa.

Inside the GarageBand application bundle is the path to the loops:

GarageBand 2.1/Payload/MobileGarageBand.app/Library.bundle/Audio/Apple Loops/, for example

GarageBand 2.1/Payload/MobileGarageBand.app/Library.bundle/Audio/Apple Loops/Abstract Atmosphere 015.caf

Leonie/mprenfro,

Thanks for your posts. I am having the same problem and need to fix it quickly. I was able to find GarageBand 2.1.ipa on my mac, but I cannot seem to locate the GB "application bundle" (or any "Payload" path). I'm a mac noob, so feel free to explain it to me like I'm 4.Seriously. Thanks!

Feb 18, 2016 8:46 AM in response to ammbrr

Select the file GarageBand 2.1.ipa in the folder ~/Music/iTunesCloudLibrary/iTunes Media/Mobile Applications/GarageBand 2.1.ipa or where you have found it.

Then right-click or ctrl-click it. From the contextual menu that will pop up, select the command "Open with" and select "Archive Utility":

User uploaded file

Now you will see a new folder "GarageBand 2.1" showing the contents of the application bundle:

Open this folder and select the subfolder "Payload". Select "Mobile GarageBand.app" and ctrl-click again. This time select "Show Package Contents".

User uploaded file

Now scroll down to "Library_Bundle" and ctrl-click again, select again "Show Package Contents". And you have found the loops.

User uploaded file

In the Library.bundle open the folder "Audio", then "Apple Loops".

The Apple Loops are the loops that you need to install in the the folder ~/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/User Loops/ in your user library.

Feb 18, 2016 5:30 PM in response to mprenfro

leonie,

Awesome job for keeping up on this post! Yes, you did a good job on answering the last question too. Glad to see we can help others out with this. About the plugin I mentioned before. I think that it refers back to the new Effects function that comes with the iOS version of GB. I see now how that might be the problem. I do find this to be frustrating though that Apple would release such a wonderful new toy, give us the ability to export to GB Desktop, but then not have the same supported loops for download or the ability to use the FX mixer. To get a hold of someone at Apple to point these things out seems like it would take too much time and effort. So, why wouldn't they figure on this at the time of release?

Feb 19, 2016 12:13 AM in response to mprenfro

I am sure we will see the support in the next GarageBand version - after all, Apple solved it already for Logic Pro X.

I am getting accustomed to the fact that the software on the mobile devices is always a step ahead of the software on the Mac. Apple wants to sell more hardware, and so is releasing new iPhones and iPad every year, and they require new iOS versions with new features to support the new hardware. And they will be released as soon as they are ready. The mac counterparts need much longer for testing and developing, and I am glad they are thoroughly tested before being released.

The feedback form for GarageBand is here, if you want to let them know that we are getting impatient and send a feature request: Apple - GarageBand iLife - Feedback

How to get new iOS GB loops into your Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.