Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Samsung 850 EVO and TRIM?

Dear friends,

Yesterday I installed a brand new SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD (120 gb) on my MacBook Pro (mid 2012) and I want to know now should I enable TRIM and is it safe under the OS X EL CAPITAN!?

Again its SAMSUNG 850 EVO (120 gb, basic version not pro), MacBook Pro (mid 2012) and OS X EL CAPITAN!!!

Thank you for answer.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), null

Posted on Jan 24, 2016 2:19 AM

26 replies

Feb 18, 2017 3:34 PM in response to bluwud

For what it's worth I just talked to Samsung tech support about this same issue of enabling trim on Sierra for the 850 EVO SSD.

The rep was very clear in stating that trim needed to be enabled. In fact, he said that the SSD would eventually start throwing errors if trim was not enabled.

So I enabled trim on the terminal (sudo trimforce enable) after backing everything up. Rebooted and running without any problems. I'll be sure to update this post if I encounter any problems.

Feb 18, 2017 7:00 PM in response to MediaMind

MediaMindwrote:

I want to know now should I enable TRIM and is it safe under the OS X EL CAPITAN!?

Yes it is safe. You will have to do your own research and make your own decision on the issue—ultimately it is your loss or gain.

All new SSD will perform well, it is over time when allocated blocks and pages become used, you start to see a loss of performance.

"TRIM doesn’t obviate the need for garbage collection—it works with garbage collection to more properly mark pages as stale. And you don’t need TRIM for garbage collection to work—but TRIM makes an SSD’s garbage collection more efficient."

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/04/ask-ars-my-ssd-does-garbage-collection-so -i-dont-need-trim-right/

The advantage of the TRIM command is that it enables the SSD’s GC (garbage collection) to skip the invalid data rather than moving it, thus saving time not rewriting the invalid data. This results in a reduction of the number of erase cycles on the flash memory and enables higher performance during writes. The SSD doesn’t need to immediately delete or garbage collect these locations it just marks them as no longer valid. This helps ensure that all storage cells are aged uniformly and maximum lifetime achieved.

ref: http://www.thessdreview.com/daily-news/latest-buzz/garbage-collection-and-trim-i n-ssds-explained-an-ssd-primer/

http://osxdaily.com/2015/10/29/use-trimforce-trim-ssd-mac-os-x/

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), macOS (10.12.3), i7 480GB SSD 16GB RAM iPhoneSE iOS10.2, Parallels10.0.2, HP OfficeJet Pro 8620

Feb 19, 2017 5:17 AM in response to MediaMind

Have same SSD in my MBP mid-2012. 500gb. SSD with bootcamp. (2) 250gb partitions. One for El Capitan and the other for Windows-10. I have since upgraded to MacOS Sierra. The Samsung Evo SSD has performed great. No problems. Yes, I did enable "TRIM" since El Capitan. No problems. In MS-Windows-10 I have the Samsung SSD app installed so I can upgrade the SSD firmware. I think you maybe able to make a bootable USB firmware upgrade thumb drive. Since the Samsung Evo SSD is designed for MS-Windows 7-10 PC and not for OS-X . I can not recommend it. Even though I have had no problems with this SSD in my macs. I would recommend an SSD that is supported on OS-X like the "OWC SSD" or "Crucial MX300". The "crucial mx300" ssd has an app so you can upgrade the firmware in OS-X.

Feb 19, 2017 8:15 AM in response to MediaMind

The effect of Trimforce will release deleted blocks going forward. But if you already have a lot of old deleted blocks on your SSD, it would be nice if there were a mechanism for releasing those old deleted data blocks as well.

The solution: Trimforce is honored by Safe Mode.

Restart in Safe Mode, and at one point in the automatic disk repair that occurs during Safe Mode startup, the phrase "trimming unused blocks" is seen in the logs, confirming that trimming of all deleted data is occurring.

Feb 19, 2017 9:41 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant Bennet-Alder wrote:

The effect of Trimforce will release deleted blocks going forward. But if you already have a lot of old deleted blocks on your SSD, it would be nice if there were a mechanism for releasing those old deleted data blocks as well.

The solution: Trimforce is honored by Safe Mode.

Restart in Safe Mode, and at one point in the automatic disk repair that occurs during Safe Mode startup, the phrase "trimming unused blocks" is seen in the logs, confirming that trimming of all deleted data is occurring.

This is Interesting— I have not found any log files after a Safe Boot indicating "trimming unused blocks," and I have searched the Console logs. (In full disclosure, I am not so well versed in the Console 😉 )

However I do see reference to "trimming unused blocks" in DiskUtility after running Disk FirstAid.

Feb 19, 2017 11:49 AM in response to leroydouglas

However I do see reference to "trimming unused blocks" in DiskUtility after running Disk FirstAid.

But you can't actually "Repair" the Startup Disk while started up from it and expect it to be repaired. That is what produces the dilemma, and what motivated my search for a solution.

--------

If you have permanently enabled Verbose mode (OK, you can call me a wirehead now [if you didn't already]) you see that message go rolling by. If you have to dig into the full console log, remember to search for "BOOT_TIME" the first line of any new Startup, then start looking from there. The boot disk repair in Safe Mode is done quite early, and is actually done by fsck, so you will not see any of the usual Disk Utility GUI messages, just fsck.

Feb 19, 2017 12:37 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant Bennet-Alder wrote:

But you can't actually "Repair" the Startup Disk while started up from it and expect it to be repaired. That is what produces the dilemma, and what motivated my search for a solution.

--------

If you have permanently enabled Verbose mode (OK, you can call me a wirehead now [if you didn't already]) you see that message go rolling by. If you have to dig into the full console log, remember to search for "BOOT_TIME" the first line of any new Startup, then start looking from there. The boot disk repair in Safe Mode is done quite early, and is actually done by fsck, so you will not see any of the usual Disk Utility GUI messages, just fsck.

Yes this was FirstAid from an external boot disk; afaik you can not run FirstAid from the boot disk.

------------

thanks for the added info. Verbose goes by too fast for me to read anything except the stationary screen. (I see now Verbose Mode is especially useful when used in conjunction with Safe Mode booting.)

I do see "trimming unused blocks" from fsck -f in single user mode. This is all very reassuring!

Apr 28, 2017 4:53 PM in response to FatMac-MacPro

Hi,

I came across your responses in this thread while trying to research why my Samsung 850 Evo SSD is constantly running out of space. I use the SSD as my internal boot drive on my Mac Pro and I'm running OS X 10.8.5. The memory fluctuates wildly while running software and I've had a few "run out of space" error messages. I assume I have trim disabled, however I haven't been able to verify the rumors that enabling trim or upgrading OS X will have an adverse impact on the SSD. Are the lack of memory/compatibility issues interrelated? Can you please shed some light on this issue and offer remedies? Thanks

Apr 28, 2017 5:08 PM in response to nkj79

I have been using a Samsung Evo 850 500gb. SSD for over two years now in my Macbook Pro 13 mid-2012.

Have had no problems. Works great. Have "TRIM" enabled with command "sudo trimforce enable"

I have it partitioned into two 250gb. partitions and have boot camp loaded with Windows-10 and Sierra.

I have gone through a direct upgrade from Yosemite to El Capitan to Sierra. With no problems other than having to

re-enable "TRIM" after every upgrade.

In MS-Windows-10 I use the Samsung Magician app to manage the SSD and upgrade its firmware.

So the SSD performs fine as to date. I have had no problems with this SSD.

If you want an SSD that is supported in OS X where you don't need to enable TRIM and can do firmware upgrades within OS X then get an OCZ SSD or a Crucial MX200 or MX300 SSD.

Even though I have had no problems with this Samsung SSD in my Macbook to date I have had problems with Samsung SSD's in my Macs. I would not recommend a Samsung SSD for a Mac as it is not supported in a Mac.

These Samsung SSD's are made for Windows computers and have an app that only works in Windows.

Therefore I would suggest you get an SSD that is supported in OS X like the OWC SSD or Crucial SSD.

Your best value purchase it to buy a 256gb. or 500gb. SSD. these will last for over 100 years at 5gb. writes per day.

Apr 28, 2017 5:08 PM in response to nkj79

The "space" computed and reported by MacOS is free blocks. This calculation is based on a Rotating drive, which can block-replace any single block fairly quickly.

The symptom you would see from not enabling TRIM is that the drive would write new data quite slowly, and may even freeze for a while to do a garbage collection. A well designed SSD drive CAN run without TRIM enabled, up to its full stated capacity, but writing would be securely constrained as the space becomes filled with deleted data.

If your drive (of either type) says it is running out of free space, that is because there are no blocks available. That is unrelated to TRIM.

Jan 24, 2016 5:18 AM in response to MediaMind

I also have a Samsung 850 SSD, but mine is the 500 GB size.

I enabled Trim about a month ago, and it has been working good.

To enable TRIM, first save all your open documents as this will reboot your Mac.

1) launch Terminal.

2) Type "sudo trimforce enable".

3) Confirm that you want to enable trim.

4) Reboot your Mac.

To verify that TRIM is enabled, click the Apple icon in the top left of your screen. Choose "About this Mac" -> "System Report" -> "SATA/SATA Express" and look for the entry "Trim Support". It should say "yes" if trim has been enabled.

Kim

Samsung 850 EVO and TRIM?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.