Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Use TB Display AND iMac as externals for MBP?

Hey fellas,

I'm not sure whether this question should go here, into the iMac board, or into the MacBook Pro board, but I'll just ask it here, I guess...

I'm getting a MacBook Pro '11 from a friend and I'm most likely getting a Thunderbolt display as well, to hook up to the MacBook Pro.

I might ALSO get an iMac '11, later this year.

Now obviously I can connect to Thunderbolt display to either one. I can also connect the MacBook Pro to the iMac using Thunderbolt and use the iMac as secondary screen for the MBP, using Target Display Mode.

BUT - Here's the question:

The iMac has two Thunderbolt ports. Can I hook the Thunderbolt display to one and use it as secondary for the iMac and then, when I come home from work, connect the MacBook Pro to the iMac using the second Thunderbolt port and use BOTH the iMac and Thunderbolt display as external devices for the MacBook Pro, using Target Display Mode?

Thanks for your input! :-)

Daniel

Posted on Jan 24, 2016 5:19 AM

There are no replies.

Use TB Display AND iMac as externals for MBP?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.