Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What happens after my computers license expires?

When I recently used the 'Reinstall OS X from Recovery' mode to reinstall my OS X 10.8.5 mountain lion it says something about my iMac being checked for being valid to proceed. My AppleCare Protection Plan Certificate expires in March so does this mean that, if I were to need the Recovery facility will I no longer be able to use it after March?

I know OS X can be bought from the Apple Store but why should I pay for it when I've already done so as part of my iMac purchase?

Can anyone help please?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Jan 24, 2016 9:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2016 9:38 AM

No, it doesn’t. The certificate only applies when you need to contact Apple Support for issues related to the Mac, or take the Mac in for repair.

(138758)

12 replies

Jan 25, 2016 6:54 AM in response to makey

Learn about how to use several backup regimens available through additional

hardware methods, and in some instances, save duplicate installers of OS X

version(s) you want to be able to re-install later, in offline archive...

One helpful tool, along with procedures found elsewhere to backup backups is

http://diskmakerx.com/

The license idea concerning software could only change if your device can no

longer run specific software if there were changes to the firmware or availability

of the software itself. Or the obsoletism that accompanies a constant change.

To set up your computer so it could be kept working with older OS X, by keeping

offline archives, backups, and functional duplicate boot-able clones, may help.

At some point, certain computer models nowadays, are unlikely to run an older

system once the software and or firmware is upgraded.

There is a learning curve to understand these relatively new changes.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Jan 25, 2016 6:53 AM in response to K Shaffer

Thank you K Shaffer for your reply.

I've looked into the website of the Disk Maker X company and I'm rather confused as to which version of Disk Maker X I should go for. I'm looking for the version which is most likely to work properly and give me a reliable start up/boot up DVD or thumb drive of Mountain Lion OS X 10.8.5.

Would you please advise me further.

Makey.

Jan 25, 2016 7:39 AM in response to makey

According to the DiskMakerX site:

Older versions

Click here to download DiskMaker X 3.0.4 (about 4,2 MB), compatible with Mavericks, Mountain Lion and Lion!

More info:

http://diskmakerx.com/whats-this/

Other ideas include alternatives that work with OS X Recovery, Time Machine backups, and additional clones of the

working OS X completely updated (and also minimal main) installations on respective external drives, for restorations.

Utilities such as SuperDuper http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html (seems better)

also Carbon Copy Cloner - see older version 3.5: https://bombich.com/download -- plus Disk Utility handles disk images.

More tips about Apple OS X, Recovery, and Time Machine: http://pondini.org/OSX/Home.html

Other hardware to include suitable external storage drives and cables to best advantage their useful purposes in backup

and restoring your computers, and to retain as duplicate or locations for external libraries, are worthy investments.

Anyway, I'm about due to either start up some coffee or see about a few hours of sleep; way late for either option

depending on what perspective is applied... at 6:30 AM local time & way past ideal sleep interval (usually 2AM.)

Best of luck...! 🙂

Jan 27, 2016 12:30 PM in response to makey

You could try and experiment with a variant of the method proposed in the following page link

where the author had used it with Lion 10.7. as an example; others were able to use basically

the same idea (by use of the installer, once in the computer) to create a Installer for offline use:

• Tips on Making a Lion or Mountain Lion Install disc or partition (with disk utility)

http://pondini.org/OSX/LionInstallDisc.html

Another somewhat similar method is covered here:

• How to install OS X on an external drive connected to your Mac - Apple Support

So if for some undisclosed reason you still cannot get the DiskMakerX item, try these.

Sorry they seem to have technical issues or changes on their end of the idea.

{the clone idea should work nonetheless, but may require other measures to work}

Good luck and hopefully these other methods can provide a workable solution... 😐

Feb 7, 2016 4:04 AM in response to K Shaffer

I've tried all the links and find that DiskMaker (all versions) don't work, it always directs me to the App Store where, I'm told, OSX 10.8 won't be! So, in my experience DiskMaker is a non-starter.

Through the Apple Support Site I've discovered that the cmd+r (Command + "R") startup method works to bring up the options which includes the OSX 10.8.5 Recovery. I did this and then selected the Thumb Drive (16GB) and it copied the data to it.

Out of interest I tried with an 8GB drive but received a message something like 'not enough disk space, another 4GB is required' which suggests the OSX requires 12GB.

Feb 7, 2016 2:39 PM in response to makey

The App Store usually would not provide older versions of a utility such as DiskMaker X.

However there may be other reasons why v 3.0.4 'older version' for Mavericks, Mt Lion,

and Lion, did not correctly load. Other than the suggested smallest size of a Flash drive

or other partition (after partitioning, the total available for the boot disk) should be larger.

And I'd suggest -- & have read other users said -- to get a 16GB USB flash drive for this.

The formatting is essential; better if you do not need to partition a flash dedicated to this.

And while the prices of quality USB Flash drives have come down in the passing of time

the larger capacities sometimes aren't as available compared to the smaller ones.

Other ideas from the pondini.org site (from main menu) are fairly good and still apply.

http://pondini.org/OSX/Home.html

Too bad DiskX' maker was unable to reply - or perhaps has a preference to support those

who have donated toward the project - I'm not sure and won't speculate further on that.

You could install to an external HDD directly if the computer has or can get the correct

OS X version from its Recovery setup or from Internet Recovery; this can make duplicate

version. To download the installer is one thing, it still would go to the Internet to get the

whole file, at least in one instance of actually installing the complete OS X. This is where

a full system clone for offline restoring of the computer's entire hard drive content, is good.

Sorry to not have any new ideas.

Here's wishing you better 'good luck' in this endeavor. 😐

What happens after my computers license expires?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.