Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ineed to resurrect an elderly PB, running 10.4.11.

The PB responds, but I can't go on to the Internet. There is an Airport Card installed with Firmware 9.52, the systems asks for a WEP PIN - I do have one, but it keeps being rejected. Is there a way to ascertain the PIN? If not, how can I retrieve or reset it? Are there any other steps I can / should take?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jan 24, 2016 9:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2016 1:01 PM

The WEP passcode is set on the wireless router. If you own (or control) the router, you set it up. If you are using a WiFi service that you do not control, you need to get that info from the service's provider.

If the PowerBook is running Tiger (10.4.11), the AirPort card should support the WPA (instead of the older WEP) security protocol. WPA is more recent, and more secure. I have a PowerBook with the oldest design for AirPort card, and it accesses my wireless router that is set up for WPA. I don't think anyone really uses WEP these days, so that may be why the passcode you try gets rejected.

The wireless router also must be set up for compatibly with the older slower 802.11b standard, if your PowerBook uses that oldest AirPort card. If it is set up to only for 802.11n or 802.11g and n, and that AirPort card is 802.11b only, it will not work.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2016 1:01 PM in response to Thomas Huber

The WEP passcode is set on the wireless router. If you own (or control) the router, you set it up. If you are using a WiFi service that you do not control, you need to get that info from the service's provider.

If the PowerBook is running Tiger (10.4.11), the AirPort card should support the WPA (instead of the older WEP) security protocol. WPA is more recent, and more secure. I have a PowerBook with the oldest design for AirPort card, and it accesses my wireless router that is set up for WPA. I don't think anyone really uses WEP these days, so that may be why the passcode you try gets rejected.

The wireless router also must be set up for compatibly with the older slower 802.11b standard, if your PowerBook uses that oldest AirPort card. If it is set up to only for 802.11n or 802.11g and n, and that AirPort card is 802.11b only, it will not work.

Jan 24, 2016 10:04 AM in response to Thomas Huber

It's hard to say what steps or other options are appropriate without knowing more about your PowerBook, Apple used that name from 1991 to 2006 and there were dozens of variants that don't all respond to the same troubleshooting steps. It sounds like the computer boots. Please do "About this Mac" from your Apple menu and, in the resulting window, click the "More Info..." button. That launches System Profiler, teh one sure way to see your exact model and submodel. Profiler's opening screen will look something like this:

User uploaded file

My PowerBook is loaned out so all I have is the Profiler report from a newer notebook, but the info should be in the same slots. Please tell us the code in the second line that I've indicated with the arrow (may be labeled "Machine Model" in your OS version). Also post the processor speed. From those we can pin down your exact model and start to help from there.

Jan 24, 2016 1:06 PM in response to Allan Jones

Thank you for your reply. Here are my readings off System Profiler:

Manine Name iBook

Machine Model PowerBook 4,3

CPU Type Power PC 750

Number of CPU's 1

CPU Speed 800Mhz

L2 Cache 512 kB

Memory 384 MB

Bus Speed 100 Mhz

Boot ROM 4.5.2 f2

Yes, it does boot flawlessly, but the Airport card seems not responsive.

I do appreciate your help and interest. Best, TH

Jan 24, 2016 1:34 PM in response to Thomas Huber

The "iBook" info you provided covers several possible configs, at 800 MHz. Here's one of them

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/ibook/specs/ibook_800_14.html

The technical specs are fairly similar, including the AirPort card, which says, "This iBook has an internal "AirPort" (802.11b) wireless networking slot with an internal antenna in the case." An AirPort card goes in that wireless networking slot, but it is "optional." That means customers paid extra to have the AirPort card installed. Have you confirmed that your iBook has an AirPort card?

Jan 27, 2016 4:21 AM in response to Thomas Huber

Not sure how to actually troubleshoot the airport card itself, though you

may be able to buy a known-good used airport card from online vendors

within reasonable distance from your location.

At one point, sources used to include wegnermedia & powerbookmedic;

but they offer some parts as upgrade to ordered computer model, only.

Such as the listing for replacement power adapters, etc. Or extra battery.

Good luck in your quest to keep the vintage gear alive & happy.

Heard it helps to set a tiny stein of beer and snacks nearby. 🙂

Ineed to resurrect an elderly PB, running 10.4.11.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.