Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I unauthorize devices that no longer exist?

I just replaced the hard drive in my computer after it dies and when I installed iTunes, tried to log in and authorize my computer it told me I had too many devices authorized. I tried to get to my device authorization through my iPhone but it didn't work. I've only got 2 devices currently that I use which means I have three old authorizations which need to be removed. How can I do this using my lap top that is not authorized? Thanks!

Posted on Jan 24, 2016 10:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2016 11:03 AM

Authorization

iTunes Store- Authorize or deauthorize your Mac or PC.

In iTunes you use the Authorize This Computer or De-authorize This Computer option under the Store menu in iTunes' menubar. For Windows use the ALT-S keys to access it. Or turn on Windows 7 and 8 iTunes menus: iTunes- Turning on iTunes menus in Windows 8 and 7.

Deauthorization

You can de-authorize individual computers, but only by using those computers. The only other option is to "de-authorize all" from your iTunes account.

1. Open iTunes on a computer

2. From the Store menu, select "View my Account..."

3. Sign in with your Apple ID and password.

4. Under "Computer Authorizations" select "De-authorize All".

5. Authorize each computer you still have, as you may require.

You may only do this once per year.

After you "de-authorize all" your authorized computers, re-authorize each one as required.

If you have de-authorized all computers and need to do it again, but your year has not elapsed, then contact: Apple - Support - iTunes - Contact Us.

For more information on authorization and de-authorization: iTunes Store- Authorize or deauthorize your Mac or PC.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2016 11:03 AM in response to LG_15

Authorization

iTunes Store- Authorize or deauthorize your Mac or PC.

In iTunes you use the Authorize This Computer or De-authorize This Computer option under the Store menu in iTunes' menubar. For Windows use the ALT-S keys to access it. Or turn on Windows 7 and 8 iTunes menus: iTunes- Turning on iTunes menus in Windows 8 and 7.

Deauthorization

You can de-authorize individual computers, but only by using those computers. The only other option is to "de-authorize all" from your iTunes account.

1. Open iTunes on a computer

2. From the Store menu, select "View my Account..."

3. Sign in with your Apple ID and password.

4. Under "Computer Authorizations" select "De-authorize All".

5. Authorize each computer you still have, as you may require.

You may only do this once per year.

After you "de-authorize all" your authorized computers, re-authorize each one as required.

If you have de-authorized all computers and need to do it again, but your year has not elapsed, then contact: Apple - Support - iTunes - Contact Us.

For more information on authorization and de-authorization: iTunes Store- Authorize or deauthorize your Mac or PC.

Jan 24, 2016 11:05 AM in response to LG_15

• If necessary, press Ctrl-B to enable the menu bar in iTunes
  • Select Store > View Account
  • Enter your Apple ID and password
  • On the Account Information page, click the Deauthorize All button (before doing so it should say that you have 5 computers authorized to play content)
  • Re-authorize the computer(s) that you do have access to (Store > Authorize This Computer...) in iTunes

Notes:

1. You can only use the Deauthorize All function once every 12 months - if you have a need to do this more frequently, you need to contact Apple Support
  2. iTunes / the iTunes Store managed two separate sets of authorizations:

How do I unauthorize devices that no longer exist?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.