Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot save/update a project

I am new in Motion and use FCPX some time.

After creating the first title I go to "save as" create a new category and press save. The new file was created in the sub directory "Movies / Motion Templates / ...".

After creating the new file motion comes back into the "save as" window. No chance to close this window other than closing it.

Changes in the project cannot be updates. The "save" function doesn't change the project file. I also cannot close Motion. The save window will not close because the file cannot be saved.

I only can close Motion by not saving the project changes.

I deleted all preference files - nothing changes

I reinstalled motion through the app store - nothing changes

Any ideas? I cannot use motion before solving this problem.

Hope you can help.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), null

Posted on Jan 24, 2016 10:17 AM

2 replies

Jan 31, 2016 7:36 PM in response to ok67

You don't ever have to use Save As, only Save. Save As is making a copy, separate from the original project file.

Back in FCPX, if you've applied the effect to a clip in a Timeline, then made changes in Motion, you have to remove the effect form the clip, and re-apply it. FCPX doesn't automatically update effects once applied to a clip.

Feb 1, 2016 10:05 PM in response to BenB

Thanks BenB,

I used "Save As" only the first time. It is the save function that doesn't work afterwards. Motion always comes back into the "save" window.

It looks, as it was not able to update the file on the disk. I checked the rights, but cannot see any limitations.

I tried your recommendations regarding FCPX. But the clip hasn't changed.

Cannot save/update a project

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.