Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.8.5 Bypass Apache for nginx

Hi folks.

Trying to shut down Apache to get nginx working.

Upon trying to connect to the server, it states that the "Administrator can turn on Apache". I've installed nginx, deleted the launchdaemon for httpd (com.apple.serverd.plist) and she still won't budge.

Can I turn off Apache fully? Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Mac mini, OS X Server, 10.8.x server

Posted on Jan 24, 2016 12:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2016 1:29 PM

Sure. But you're not going to like the answer. Wipe the disk, load Linux or BSD, and off you go. Or load a VM guest, and put nginx over there.

Or load and run nginx in parallel with Apache, on a variant port — not that such will be particularly useful, unfortunately.

But to more directly answer your question, OS X is not now and never really has been amenable to these quests. Various hunks of OS X Server are very much tied into Apache. Once you graduate to needing or wanting to overhaul or to replace core pieces of OS X Server — Apache is one of those core hunks — it's probably time to move to a platform that better provides for that.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2016 1:29 PM in response to BioRich

Sure. But you're not going to like the answer. Wipe the disk, load Linux or BSD, and off you go. Or load a VM guest, and put nginx over there.

Or load and run nginx in parallel with Apache, on a variant port — not that such will be particularly useful, unfortunately.

But to more directly answer your question, OS X is not now and never really has been amenable to these quests. Various hunks of OS X Server are very much tied into Apache. Once you graduate to needing or wanting to overhaul or to replace core pieces of OS X Server — Apache is one of those core hunks — it's probably time to move to a platform that better provides for that.

Jan 28, 2016 2:00 PM in response to BioRich

OS X Server is not a disaster, it works quite well. It's just not the right product for what you want to do. OS X Server is intended for folks that don't want and don't need to customize the platform, and that can use what is provided or various add-on packages. Folks that do want or need those customization abilities have other and better choices. Variously much better choices. If you're experimenting, then have a look at Veertu or one of the other virtual machine packages.

Jan 28, 2016 2:15 PM in response to MrHoffman

In my years I've used it, the GUI has proven to be a half-baked product. Purchasing an expensive OS, server or not, should allow me to do what I want, including disabling services. Creating an unlockable OS creates issues. But then this is a business viewpoint, not a technical one. I don't need a virtual machine. I already own a box that's now going to be dedicated as an email server for a small company, because Apple didn't think their box would be purchased for a fraction of the stuff they jammed into this thing.

10.8.5 Bypass Apache for nginx

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.