Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Replacing a Power Mac G4 DVD-Ram drive.

I just got a Power Mac G4 from a friend and the included DVD-Ram drive does not function, it makes weird noises like the cd/dvd is hitting the inside of the metal case. Therefore I would like to replace it. My question is:

Can I replace this mac DVD-Ram drive with any internal DVD or CD drive that uses the molex power supply and SCSI Cable? Or do I need to replace it with the same drive?

I have a few DVD drives laying around my work place that would let me have some. I just want to make sure it works before I get one.

Thanks!

Posted on Jan 24, 2016 3:03 PM

2 replies

Jan 24, 2016 5:39 PM in response to BluRose

If the drive needs to be bootable, you need one with Apple ROMs

The optical drive interface on even the earliest G4 towers is ATA/IDE, much easier to find than SCSI. Most internal drives offered today are SATA and will not work in your computer without a PCI card that is an SATA adaptor for internal drives. Your best bet is to find an Apple-braded unit someone has pulled from an older Mac. Often you can buy a used G4 with a working drive for what the drive alone would cost from some sources.

Jan 24, 2016 9:16 PM in response to BluRose

Occasionally, you may need to boot the G4 from the optical drive to install an OS or for disk maintenance. For that reason, I'd recommend a Pioneer DVD±RW ATAPI/IDE drive, such as the now-discontinued DVR-109 model. There are a couple of used DVR-109 drives available on ebay, such as this one. NEC and Toshiba also made compatible models, but some third-party drives will not boot an Apple product, even if they function normally for CD/DVD playback and recording.

Replacing a Power Mac G4 DVD-Ram drive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.