Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

4s Failed 9.2.1 upgrade and crash

My iPhone 4s crashed during a routine wifi upgrade from ios 9.2 to 9.2.1 this evening. Prior to the upgrade it was working 100% OK! It now refuses to reboot and just comes up with the iTunes & cable logo.

I have made at least 10 attempts to upgrade/restore in iTunes with a network connection, all of which failed at the same point with an "unknown error (29)"

message.

The failure occurs at about 55% on the progress bar, after successful iPhone software installation and verification at the start of the firmware verification process.

Any ideas as to what to try next would be greatly appreciated please?

Thanks!

iPhone 4S, iOS 9.2

Posted on Jan 24, 2016 3:54 PM

21 replies

Jan 25, 2016 8:29 AM in response to Wjohnu

Well after 24 hours, 4 very helpful support calls from Apple culminating in an escalation to a senior advisor, about 30 attempts to restore on laptop, PC, creating new user account, disabling security software etc., the Apple support team have come to the conclusion that the software upgrade has corrupted the iphone's firmware and it's a trip to the Genius Bar or postal return for a no charge fix or replace. Whilst it has been a pain, the support staff have been excellent and there was never any call waiting - quite refreshing. Looks like it's back to my trusty Blackberry for a week or so.

Jan 26, 2016 4:03 AM in response to Wjohnu

On Sunday my son tried to update(restore) his Iphone 4S to IOS 9.2.1 and it failed with Error 29 Unknown error when the update was about 2/3rd complete. After a number of similar failed attempts using a Windows 10 PC, we tried a further 3 times using a Windows 7 PC with the same result.

I read numerous posts on Apple discussions sites about non-genuine batteries causing this error. I am a very experienced electronics and computer engineer and I was very sceptical about this suggestion.

I had replaced the battery in my son's phone with a new battery supplied by UKs biggest high street electronics component shop a few months ago but as the phone was basically useless as a final try I removed the replacement battery and put back the original Apple battery (which I had kept but not used for 3 months). The IOS update then succeeded first attempt. ( I have now put the newer replacement battery back in the device and it continues to work).

Given that these batteries are 4 wire devices I presume that the battery contains additional electronics that IOS update is able to identify and reject.

Hope this helps all who have similar issues.

Jan 26, 2016 4:05 AM in response to Wjohnu

On Sunday my son tried to update(restore) his Iphone 4S to IOS 9.2.1 and it failed with Error 29 Unknown error when the update was about 2/3rd complete. After a number of similar failed attempts using a Windows 10 PC, we tried a further 3 times using a Windows 7 PC with the same result.

I read numerous posts on Apple discussions sites about non-genuine batteries causing this error. I am a very experienced electronics and computer engineer and I was very sceptical about this suggestion.

I had replaced the battery in my son's phone with a new battery supplied by UKs biggest high street electronics component shop a few months ago but as the phone was basically useless as a final try I removed the replacement battery and put back the original Apple battery (which I had kept but not used for 3 months). The IOS update then succeeded first attempt. ( I have now put the newer replacement battery back in the device and it continues to work).

Given that these batteries are 4 wire devices I presume that the battery contains additional electronics that IOS update is able to identify and reject.

Jan 26, 2016 6:15 AM in response to Wjohnu

Jan 26, 2016 6:23 AM in response to Germoline

Well, thank you for that. well timed, just as the postman delivered the Apple return box! I too replaced the original battery with a "genuine OEM guaranteed battery" from eBay a few weeks ago and retained the original.

Sure enough, replacing the original battery allowed the iTunes restore routine to complete without issue and my phone is now back up and running with iOS 9.2.1 installed.

I am returning the replacement battery for refund!

Cheers and thanks again.

John

Jan 26, 2016 9:43 AM in response to panther600

Hi Panther600

Sadly I've nothing in writing other than the service order email which is separate to the incident. However, the crux of the matter was that the situation occurred during a routine Apple notified update procedure and was obviously caused by that action, (though I now know the replacement battery was the issue!). Presumably if I had sent the phone in it would have been quickly returned and possibly a charge levied?

Feb 2, 2016 7:45 AM in response to Wjohnu

Hi Wjohnu

.I visited the Apple Genius Bar in Liverpool yesterday.

They tried to update the latest software and got the same result, i.e. Error 29.

My phone was taken (for examination to the rear of the premises) and the advisor returned with it about

ten minutes later.

I was informed that my phone was almost 4 years old and therefore out of Warranty(which I already knew)

My phone was faulty (a hardware fault) and couldn't be repaired!

I was then offered a replacement 4S phone for £159. I politely refused this derisory offer.

I hold Apple wholly responsible for the damage to my phone. If I hadn't tried to download their

latest software I

am sure that my phone would still be working.

As the owner of an iMac computer and an iPad, I am really disgusted with the decision to "write-off" my phone

when they are the ones responsible for it.

Where does this leave me?? I would like some advice as to the next step i should make.

Are you in the UK??

Please let me know the final result in your case. I did show the advisor all the messages on this Forum, especially yours suggesting that you are

getting a free repair or replacement phone

Feb 2, 2016 8:19 AM in response to Wjohnu

Wjohnu wrote:

Well, thank you for that. well timed, just as the postman delivered the Apple return box! I too replaced the original battery with a "genuine OEM guaranteed battery" from eBay a few weeks ago and retained the original.

Sure enough, replacing the original battery allowed the iTunes restore routine to complete without issue and my phone is now back up and running with iOS 9.2.1 installed.

I am returning the replacement battery for refund!

Cheers and thanks again.

John

A word of caution. There are no "genuine OEM guaranteed batteries" available for purchase as a customer. Any iPhone battery you find for sale is either A) stolen B) counterfeit or C) salvaged from another unit. Apple is the only legal manufacturer of iPhone parts, and they do not provide them to anyone other than Apple Authorized Service Providers. And those AASPs are not allowed to sell them to private parties. They can only be used for authorized service & repairs.

Secondly, the iPhone is not user-serviceable either. The fact that you have opened the device now voids your warranty. Once Apple receives your iPhone and inspects it, do not be surprised if they inform you that they are not going to perform any service on the device and return it to you unfixed. And yes, that's even if you put the original battery back in.

Feb 4, 2016 1:17 AM in response to panther600

HI Panther600

I'm very sorry to hear of your plight, not a good result!

I solved my situation by myself in the end thanks to the most useful post from Germolene above. Since replacing the original genuine Apple battery I have completed the iOS upgrade without issue and have had no further problems. In fact the old battery is giving similar performance to the new one which has now been returned for refund.

So, I was able to cancel my service request.

Has your phone had a non-Apple replacement battery by chance?

Feb 4, 2016 3:44 AM in response to Wjohnu

Hi Wjohnu,

I have replaced battery some months ago(genuine??? battery from Amazon) because my battery was failing to hold a charge.

Apple wanted £60 to replace it. Cost from Amazon UK was £12.

Seemed a good deal at the time, now not so sure.

Unfortunately I did not keep original battery.

Where do I go from here??

Thanks for your info and update,

panther600

4s Failed 9.2.1 upgrade and crash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.