Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture 2 library migration to El Capitan

I am running Aperture 2.1.4 on an external hard drive and have just upgraded my MacBook to OS X 10.11.3 El Capitan.

Aperture is not supported on this OS X but I believe you may be able to migrate the Aperture library in to Pictures.

Does anyone know how I can perform this task?

Gary

Aperture 2, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Jan 25, 2016 12:47 AM

1 reply

Jan 30, 2016 8:56 AM in response to NZGaza

Gary,

just in case you have not found the answer on your own by now. I did not see your question earlier, sorry.

Aperture is not supported on this OS X but I believe you may be able to migrate the Aperture library in to Pictures.

Aperture 3.6 is running well on El Capitan, but you cannot purchase this version any longer.

But the new Photos for Mac application on El Capitan can open Aperture libraries, so you can browse and access your photos. But it is not a full replacement for Aperture. It is far from being a professional application.

You just need to move your Aperture library to a drive that has the file system MacOS Extended (Journaled), and the drive should have enough free storage. Photos will create a new Photos Library from your Aperture Library.

It will try to preserve your library structure with albums, keywords, meta data as well as possible, see this support document.

How Photos handles content and metadata from iPhoto and Aperture - Apple Support

To convert the Aperture library, drag it onto the Photos icon in the Dock.

You may want to have a look at these links as well:

Good Luck for the migration

- Léonie

Aperture 2 library migration to El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.