Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

transfer file from PC to iphone without using itunes

I'm sure I have not posted to the correct community but none of those listed seem relevant, so, sorry, Home Sharing, you get it!

I'm using Win 10 and do not have itunes installed on my PC.

I must have done this binary file transfer in the past because there is an old copy of the file, and its supporting app., on my iphone 6. I now need to update that binary file .However following the generic instructions from Apple (and many others following a Google search) makes no sense to me. The steps are as follows:

Connect your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad to your computer and select your device.

Select my device? How? Where?

Click Apps

There is nothing that I can see on my PC called 'apps' - anywhere

Below File Sharing, select an app from the list, and click Add.

Huh?

In other words the instructions are completely useless. How is this simple transfer done?.

iPhone 6, Windows 10

Posted on Jan 25, 2016 3:38 AM

16 replies

Nov 27, 2017 8:01 AM in response to sthomson.bc

Where did it ask for that?

The File Manager app I suggested still works and transfers files without iTunes at all.

General steps to follow to transfer a file from a computer to an iOS device, without requiring iTunes, using the File Manager: File Manager & Browser on the App Store

Make sure both the computer you wish to transfer the file from, and the iOS device you wish to transfer the file to, are connected to the same Wifi network.

1. Open the File Manager on your iOS device

2. Tap on the gear icon at the bottom right of the screen

3. Tap on "Upload by Wifi Sync"

4. On the computer you wish to transfer the files from, open a web browser, and type in the address shown on the iOS device after step 3.

5. In the web page that appears click on "Choose File" and Select a file to transfer from the file dialog.

6. Click on the "Upload" button.

Nowhere would it be asking for iTunes at all.

Jan 28, 2016 8:26 AM in response to XEyedBear

XEyedBear wrote:

Yep, you're correct: I cannot follow the instructions (none of which, by the way, informed me that I need iTunes).

I will not use iTunes (so why install it?) because it will insist on completely overwriting the contents of my iPod if I try to add a single 'song'

Syncing assumes the songs on your iPod exist in your iTunes library. Add a song to the library and when you sync it adds it to the iPod. Whatever does not exist on the computer gets removed from the iPod. That's how syncing works. you make one device have the same things as another. In this case the iPod is a mirror to the iTunes library on your computer. If the iTunes library has different content to the iPod then that is when you have trouble. As the content in the Library replaces the content in the iPod. Its been this way since 2002. iTunes is designed to manage your library outside of the devices. Once you understand this, iTunes makes sense and works. I've also been using Apple devices for many years, and never have I had any issues with overwriting content on my devices.

Keeping a well organized library on a Mac or PC means all devices can get the same content or a select subset of the same content. Its really poor practice to have content on your devices that does not exist on your computer. If something happens to the device, that content will not be retrievable. The content on your PC should contain everything on your devices.

Jan 27, 2016 2:51 PM in response to XEyedBear

Hey XEyedBear,

I see that you have a question about getting a file from your computer to your iOS device. The instructions you are asking about are specifically for transferring a file within an app in iTunes, and are taken from this article:

About File Sharing on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201301

If you wish to bypass iTunes for this procedure, you will need to see the information provided by your chosen app developer for further instructions. Thanks for being a part of the Apple Support Communities!

Jan 26, 2016 11:01 AM in response to XEyedBear

File transfer to iPhones requires iTunes. So all Apple instructions are based on that. If you do not have iTunes (why not?) , you cannot follow those instructions.

With that said, there are Apps in the App store that allow you to transfer files outside of iTunes. But it depends on the App in question.

Some let you upload files to them via a browser (over Wifi), other's make the iPhone act as a USB drive. Many use iTunes File Sharing ability.

Depending on the App is what you need to do.

File Manager allows you to do this over Wifi via a Browser for example, without having iTunes at all:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/file-manager-free/id479295290?mt=8

Jan 27, 2016 2:58 PM in response to braden85

"If you wish to bypass iTunes for this procedure, you will need to see the information provided by your chosen app developer for further instructions."

Well I thought it was self evident that I wish to bypass iTunes - which is why it isn't installed.

But who is 'my chosen app developer'? Which app are we talking about here (in fact that is the essence of my original post) and how would I ever know who is 'the' developer of that app? There could be many and it's improbable that the company responsible for the development (assuming there is a company) would revela the names, especially for a personal enquiry from me.

In fact the implications of your reply is that it is a complicated and not straight forward process to do something as apparently simple as transfer a binary file from my PC to my phone, which is why there is no specific guidance..

Jan 27, 2016 3:07 PM in response to Phil0124

Yep, you're correct: I cannot follow the instructions (none of which, by the way, informed me that I need iTunes).

I will not use iTunes (so why install it?) because it will insist on completely overwriting the contents of my iPod if I try to add a single 'song' (hah - none of my music are 'songs'; they are all MUSIC) and it has tried to do that in the past with my iPhone. In general I have been using iMAC, iPhone, iPod, iPad for the past 3+ years and have not found a convincing reason the use the unnecessarily arbitrary and contorted iTunes user interface.

I'll examine the offerings in the app store - once I have figured out why there is no 'app store' application on my iPhone!

Feb 1, 2016 1:56 AM in response to XEyedBear

I have a new Dell W10 PC and several Apples devices (iPhones, iPads, MBP, etc.). Just download the SHAREit App to each device. It works very well in transferring files from the PC to any Apple device and vice versa, not quite as good as AirDrop but close. I have the App in an older W7 Dell, works well there as well.

Feb 1, 2016 1:59 AM in response to elcpu

Sadly Windows says "The app you are looking for isn't here any more"; trying to obtain it from Itunes is even worse - I would have to install iTunes first, and then find out it is not available!

So, this simple process of transferring a files from PC to iPhone is far from simple. It was a non-event when I was using an Android phone .....

Feb 1, 2016 5:56 AM in response to XEyedBear

OK, hope this helps...

I have Google as my default search engine on my Windows computer Internet Explorer. On your computer open IE (or any browser), enter "shareit" on the Google search field and the first result should say "shareit.lenovo.com". Open it and you should be able to download the SHAREit App to any Windows computer, not just Lenovos. Then on your Apple devices go to the App Store, search for "shareit" and likewise the first item is the App. Below is the Mac page (showed as the 3rd link on Chrome). The Windows page looks the same.

I tried the above this morning and still works.... Good luck.

User uploaded file

Feb 1, 2016 6:04 AM in response to XEyedBear

XEyedBear wrote:

I'm sure I have not posted to the correct community but none of those listed seem relevant, so, sorry, Home Sharing, you get it!

I'm using Win 10 and do not have itunes installed on my PC.

I must have done this binary file transfer in the past because there is an old copy of the file, and its supporting app., on my iphone 6. I now need to update that binary file .However following the generic instructions from Apple (and many others following a Google search) makes no sense to me. The steps are as follows:

Connect your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad to your computer and select your device.

Select my device? How? Where?

Click Apps

There is nothing that I can see on my PC called 'apps' - anywhere

Below File Sharing, select an app from the list, and click Add.

Huh?

In other words the instructions are completely useless. How is this simple transfer done?.

It helps of you provide links to documentation for which you have questions. I see one link for the section you quote is: iTunes 11 for Windows: Transfer files between your computer and mobile apps

At the very start of the document it says, "If you have an iPod touch or iPhone with iOS 4 or later, or an iPad, you can use iTunes to transfer files between your computer and an app on your device that supports file sharing. " That means the rest of the document is referring to using iTunes to do this. 😉

Feb 1, 2016 7:05 AM in response to XEyedBear

iTunes is really annoying when it comes to syncing photos. I am afraid of deleting all my pictures. Instead, I'm using AirMore to transfer photos from computer to iPhone. The process is much simpler for me. Open the browser on my computer. Scan the QR code on its webpage to connect. Bang. I am able to transfer all the data between iPhone and PC with ease.

Dec 13, 2016 2:01 PM in response to braden85

Absolutely NONE of these answers is helpful.

Can we get someone who can answer NOT in techno-geek? We are just people, not computer geeks!

All we want to do is upload a doc file from my computer to my phone into the "Notes" without having to upload any apps or using iTunes or whatever.

We did it last month but now we cannot. The update screwed it up!

transfer file from PC to iphone without using itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.