Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automatic sub totals when printing

Hi everyone,

Tried to find the answer how to get several printed pages with subtotals at the bottom of each sums column, and the reported sum at the top of next sheet.

I first believed it would automatically be managed through the printing process, but the table doesn't react at the page changes.

A she layouts often make of their own depending the printer you use, it could be quite tricky (and time consuming) to fumble around manually…

Does an "automatic" sub-total feature (and it's corresponding sum report) exist in pages and, if yes, can someone teach how to get it done?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Alex

Posted on Jan 25, 2016 7:18 AM

11 replies

Feb 2, 2016 2:21 AM in response to almux

Hi almux,

Are you trying to create a Cash Book with subtotals on each printed page?

You can do this in Numbers.

Start with this:

User uploaded file

The blue lines are Layout Guides to show the top and left page margins. They do not print.

Arrange (delete rows and resize) the 'Starting Balance 2015' and 'Cash Book Page 1' to fit on one sheet of paper when printed.

As Wayne said, see Print Layout Guide for Numbers 3 on Mac

Scrolling down (with Freeze Header Rows)

Formula in E31 of 'Cash Book Page 1'

=E30

User uploaded file

For Carried Forward (to the next page) Formula in Footer Row E31 =E30

Copy and Paste the 'Starting Balance 2015' table and rename it as 'Brought forward'

Now select the table 'Cash Book Page 1' and Copy and Paste. Rename it is Cash Book Page 2

Arrange them (Drag) on the canvas

User uploaded file

Continue as many times as you need (paper) pages.

Now make use of the Sheets in Numbers.

Insert a new Sheet, and delete the default table.

Select the tables you want from Sheet 1, Cut and Paste on the new Sheet.

Menu > File Print > Print all Sheets

Click on Print for a Print Dialogue.

If that is not satisfactory, click on Done to return to your document.

Delete some rows that may have flowed over (unwanted) to the next Sheet.

A bit fiddly, but once you get it to work, Save as Template for future use.

Regards,

Ian.

Feb 11, 2016 12:27 AM in response to Yellowbox

Added comment (I was too late to edit my post)

Instead of Cutting and Pasting from Sheet 1 to Sheet 2, use the Contextual Menu in the Sheet Tab to Duplicate Sheet 1 after you are satisfied with the Page Layout.

User uploaded file

Then the tables will be in the same place on the new Sheet (page). Edit the table names and formulas.

Happy Numbering!

Regards,

Ian.

Feb 3, 2016 10:42 PM in response to Yellowbox

Oh!

Great, thanks for your precise answer!

I never used any of these tables solutions before (Exel, etc.) and the page settings are quite different with Indesign… For example: I still couldn't find out how to change the tabulation in a column in order to change the positioning of the sums aligned on the decimal separator… while such an easy thing to do with Indesign. I have to get it with another logique, I guess… 😉

BR

Alex

Jun 4, 2016 8:40 AM in response to Yellowbox

Hello Yellowbox,

So sorry… but I tried to have sums and forwards on another document and… I'm absolutely unable to reproduce the functionality!

(I must be especially dummy, I guess!)

It's all on two pages but only one table. At the actual final line, I got the sums of wins and losses, each down their respective column. Now, not only I can't get the subtotals at each page bottom, but i also would like to get the final gain/loss calculation in a new line beneath.

Could You find a little time for helping me out of this contrariety?

Thanks, anyway for Your attention.

Alex

Jun 4, 2016 9:51 AM in response to almux

Hi Alex,

I am thinking about this. Numbers 3 is not good at Page Layout.

I do not see a way to automatically insert sub-totals at the end of each page. I think that it must be done manually.

User uploaded file

The black rectangle shows the maximum printable area within a page.

The orange Guide Lines are a suggestion where to stop and insert a new table (allow some leeway).

A new table on another Sheet (Print all Sheets) may be the way to solve this.

Still thinking...

Regards,

Ian.

Jun 4, 2016 11:05 AM in response to Yellowbox

Hello,

Nice to try helping anyway! 😉

I also have to confess that I'm still on v2.3 because most of my important apps do not run under OSX 1.9. 😊

Well, I got the other document, the last one (following your tips few earlier posts) that went well… Also another thing that would be clever, from Apple's part, is to explain the functions… and not only list these cabalistic groups of police characters! That would pretty help too, I think…

In the meanwhile, You think creating one layout as functioning summing page and just copy/past the sums on first line of the next, aso, on as many copies as needed is the swiftest way, at the moment?

It ain't that hard to do those operatioons by hand, of course… But, I thought Apple would like to seriously enter into busynesses… 😮

Wonder if You'll find some smart trick them next. Would be great, of course.

B.R.

Alex

Automatic sub totals when printing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.