Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WHY did you changed numeric for letters in 10.2.1?

Please, I'd like to know WHY did you changed ESC+Numeric to change tools for ESC+Letters???? Logic was working like these since years, why now? You have finally break my workflow...

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jan 25, 2016 6:43 AM

9 replies

Jan 25, 2016 9:00 AM in response to victordx

victordx wrote:

Please, I'd like to know WHY did you changed ESC+Numeric to change tools for ESC+Letters???? Logic was working like these since years, why now? You have finally break my workflow...

A few things:

• First of all, I think we talk about the special Floating Tool Menu (in lack of a better term) that opens with the Kaye Command "Show Tool Menu"
  • The "Show Tool Menu" is assigned by default to the letter T, because the previous assignment "esc" is now used system-wide for Exit Full Screen Mode. You still can use "esc", but if you are in Full Screen Mode, then ... you guessed it.
  • The Tool Menus are different in the different windows (Tracks Window, Piano Roll, Score, etc) showing different set of available Tools
  • The number assignments of the Floating Tool Menu in10.2. were just sequential from top to bottom, using the keys (1,2,3,etc), followed by the next row on the keyboard (q,w,e,r, ..)
  • The result is that different Tool Menus have different key assignments for the same Tool, which is not what you want. Remember different assignment for each Menu is bad UI design
  • Now the new assignment in 10.2.1 is "fixed". A Tool has always the same key assignment across all Tool Menus
  • The specific keys are much better to remember than random numbers with no memorable relationship to the actual Tool. Now it is Pencil, Glue, Solo, Eraser, etc.
  • Always remember that these fixed assignment in this special Floating Tool Menu have priority over any Key Commands in the Key Commands Window as long as the Floating Tool Menu is open.

Please read the page (68-73) in my free pdf file "Logic Pro X - What's New in 10.2.1" were I discuss that in great detail.

Once you play around with it , you will realize that 10.2.1 didn't break your workflow, it improved it.

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich - LogicProGEM.com

(Author of the "Graphically Enhanced Manuals")

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Feb 1, 2016 10:44 AM in response to Camp Freddy

That's your opinion Camp Freddy..... I actually don't share it at all.. and this is from someone whon has used Logic since way, way back... The change, was not that painful at all once i understood the reasoning.

Anyhow... Unfortunately, as I and Edgar explained.. there seems to be other matters that took precedence.. that required the change (Apple App Design Guidelines)

Live with it or roll back to 10.2.... Your choice...

Cheers..

Nigel

Feb 1, 2016 1:00 PM in response to The Smiling Goat

Please note: Apple isn't here in any worthwhile capacity so complaining about a change, really serves no useful purpose...

Why doesn't Apple answer the questions that we ask about Logic Pro?

However, using the feedback form will provide an avenue to help get your point across...

https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html

Cheers..

Nigel

WHY did you changed numeric for letters in 10.2.1?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.