Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen mirroring does not work

I have an Apple iPad Air 2, an iPhone 6s and an iPad 4th generation. None of these devices will now work in screen mirroring mode with my Samsung tv.

I have scoured these forums and the Internet now for days to try to find a solution but it is impossible. So believe me, I have tried everything. 😢

I am probably clutching at straws but perhaps someone can help. I don't want to connect my devices via a hdmi cable, I want to connect by screen mirroring. I also don't own Apple TV so this is not a route I wish to go down either.

iPad Air, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Jan 25, 2016 8:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2017 5:07 AM

I have the exact same problem. I always used to be able to cast from within YouTube when I first got the Samsung TV 3 years ago, but I did have an older iPhone then (5 not 6), so maybe something changed? It's extremely frustrating as the cast option still comes up in YouTube just to taunt me, and says it's connecting but doesn't. Anyway perhaps Apple and Samsung can fix this so we can enjoy easy casting again :(

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 15, 2017 5:07 AM in response to lynnfrodo

I have the exact same problem. I always used to be able to cast from within YouTube when I first got the Samsung TV 3 years ago, but I did have an older iPhone then (5 not 6), so maybe something changed? It's extremely frustrating as the cast option still comes up in YouTube just to taunt me, and says it's connecting but doesn't. Anyway perhaps Apple and Samsung can fix this so we can enjoy easy casting again :(

Jul 15, 2017 7:52 PM in response to Diana.McCall

HEY again Diana. Unfrotunelty the tv says it's go got the most up to date version. I connect with YouTube app on my iPhone and it says it's playing on the Samsung, however there is no cast on the tv. I click into the cast icon again in YouTube app and it says it's connected and I can disconnect. I suspect maybe Samsung doesn't connect to iPhone anymore? Maybe I need a chromecaster. Annoying :(

Jul 22, 2017 4:25 AM in response to WillC81

Hi WillC81. Does your TV let you install/update apps? If so, you may need to update the YouTube app on the TV. Also, is YouTube on the phone up to date? Google may have updated their casting protocol, and you need consistent software. In any case, this is not an Apple or iOS problem. It is strictly between Google (YouTube) and your Samsung TV.

Jan 25, 2016 9:14 AM in response to Rudegar

Thanks for that Rudegar.

i have had my Samsung to now for a couple of years. I used to be able to project what was on my iPad onto the screen via mirroring. For some unexplainable reason I am now not able to do this. It was all done wirelessly. All my devices and my tv run through the same router.

I am concerned that Apple have taken away the ability to screen mirror. In the control centre at the bottom of my page there is only the ability to link to airdrop. AirPlay just disappeared.

Jan 25, 2016 9:24 AM in response to lynnfrodo

If you were not using an Apple Tv, then what were you using?

AirPlay requires an AirPlay compatible receiver. And Unless your TV was airPlay compatible, there's no way you were doing this without an Apple Tv (small black box with an Apple logo on it).

What exact model of Samsung Tv do you have?

When you Mirrored before what did you select in the AirPlay option on your device?

Jan 25, 2016 10:09 AM in response to lynnfrodo

Yes, I understand what the AirPlay menu is. I was more inquiring what exactly you selected there when mirroring. i.e Did the model number of your Samsung Tv appear there, or did you select the "Apple Tv" option there. What did you choose? Ie That menu would show a list of airPlay devices to mirror to.

The missing AirPlay option is simply because the iPad cannot find a compatible AirPlay device so it does not show the AirPlay button. When it finds one, the button will re-appear.

If you selected the "Apple Tv" option there, then it suggests you were using an Apple Tv. Are you sure you were not using an Apple Tv?

Did your Samsung TV have anything connected to it before, it no longer has? A Small black box, with an Apple Logo on it?

I can find nothing in the User guide for your model TV about AirPlay compatibility. So I have to conclude it simply cannot be used as an AirPlay receiver.

It does have a section about Screen Mirroring, but requires the All Share Cast which is only supported on Android devices.

https://docs.google.com/viewerng/viewer?url=http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co ntent/UM/201303/20130316093517079/%255BE…

Screen mirroring does not work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.