Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why my iPod has a stop or red sign in the iTunes logo when i connect it?

When i connect my iPod Classic 4th gen or my 1st gen iPod Mini, they appear with like a red sign in itunes and in the desktop. What does it means?

There an example: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4DzFo2LVgLWMElPN2FhQmxRTlU/view?usp=sharing

iPod classic, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Jan 25, 2016 8:29 AM

2 replies

Jan 26, 2016 7:20 PM in response to elchuz

Eject iPod in iTunes before physically disconnecting. It means the iPod's "disk" is mounted by the system; disconnecting iPod without ejecting it first can cause data corruption, like disconnecting a USB external drive without unmounting it first. So that iPod icon with symbol is a warning (the iPod's screen should also say something like "Do not disconnect").

That icon appears on Desktop when iPod is set to Manually manage music and videos or Enable disk use. If you set it to automatically Sync Music, iTunes only mounts the iPod's disk when actively syncing the iPod. The rest of the time, the iPod still appears in iTunes, but its disk is not mounted. The iPod's icon does not appear on the Mac's desktop. And you can just disconnect it without ejecting the iPod in iTunes.

Why my iPod has a stop or red sign in the iTunes logo when i connect it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.