Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I created a slideshow in iphoto and I can not arrange the photos in chronological order....If I click on "sort" it is not highlighted and I can't change anything...Help, Please

I created a slideshow in iphoto and I can not arrange the photos in chronological order. I can click "sort" but then it's not highlighted. Help, please, and thank you!

iPhoto '11, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on Jan 25, 2016 10:17 AM

7 replies

Jan 25, 2016 12:02 PM in response to Tutortoo22

First assemble the photos in an album and order them there as you want. Select all of the photos in the album and use the File ➙ New Slideshow menu option. That will put the photos in a new slideshow in the same order they were in the album.

User uploaded file

However, some themes will reorder the photos to fit the different frames in that theme. The two themes that will not do that are Classic and Ken Burns.

User uploaded file

Jan 25, 2016 12:13 PM in response to Tutortoo22

Hi! Thanks but I guess I should have explained a little more carefully. I am a teacher and have created hundreds of albums and am making a slideshow from photos in these albums. In previous iphoto slideshows, I could add the photos in any order and they would automatically put them chronologically. It would be very time consuming to go back and forth and figure out which photos came first....

Thanks, again.

Jan 25, 2016 12:34 PM in response to Tutortoo22

I am using Version 1.3 and a classic theme. I pull photos out of albums and add them to a slideshow. I will have about 200 photos when I am done and go back and forth among many, many albums (have to make sure that I have the same number of photos of each child, hence I can't go in order always). And obviously I am totally ignorant besides the very basics!

Jan 26, 2016 10:52 AM in response to Tutortoo22

You can move the photos in your current slideshow into an album by selecting all of them in the thumbnail tray and using the File ➙ New Album menu option:

User uploaded file

Set the sort order to be by date, ascending. Continue adding photos and they will be in the date order. You can use the Play arrow at the top,

User uploaded file

to play them with your preferred theme.

Continue to add photos. When you're happy with the number of photos select them all and use the File ➙ Create Slideshow menu option. Then you can add music, etc, to the slideshow.

I created a slideshow in iphoto and I can not arrange the photos in chronological order....If I click on "sort" it is not highlighted and I can't change anything...Help, Please

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.