Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get an Audio Aggregate Device to use both analog and digital outputs simultaneously?

I'm trying to set up an audio aggregate device in Leopard, 10.5.8 on a 2006 Mac Pro tower. I created a new device in the editor, selected "use" by the two outputs I want to use, and selected the device in System Preferences/Sound. But audio is only output through the optical output. I get nothing from the analog output unless I select it instead of the aggregate device.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!

BTW, my old G5 tower, which this machine is replacing as my lossless iTunes player, was able to use both outputs simultaneously with no additional setup, somehow.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jan 25, 2016 8:45 AM

2 replies

Jan 26, 2016 7:56 PM in response to Mark Bradford

I have never heard of the ability to use two different outputs simultaneously on the Mac. If it is possible you might be able to alter the Audio Midi Setup utility in Applications -> Utilities. You can use the digital output for 5 speaker/1 subwoofer surround sound DTS, or stereo sound. Griffin made a Firewave device that supported three channel sound. Otherwise you are left with stereo.

How do I get an Audio Aggregate Device to use both analog and digital outputs simultaneously?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.